4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

my ongoing nitrous install thread...

Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
man i wish i had a water jet machine. I am stuck making it by hand out of aluminum.
they're friggin amazing lol. I no longer have access to one as much as i switched careers. but my good friend took my spot when i left so now if i need something jetted i leave it to him. . I would not want to cut something like this by hand lol
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Cool thread. I was considering the same thing.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

I see alot of people hiding their arming switch.. its a cool idea, but it is not convenient at all. If you needed to shut the kit down at any given time, the switch is not readily available. While I know you could simply let your foot up, I like my main power switch close and easily accessed by me sitting comfortably in the driver seat
Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Nice man. James bond typa stuff lol. We did a fogger plate on my buddys car and hid the solenoids in the fenderwell and ran all the lines and hid them. It was pretty sweet!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
tim2002gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
And how did you mount your bottle? I have a speaker box in the trunk of my car so i couldnt fit the bottle on the actual metal in the trunk so i mounted mine on the wood that covers the spare tire, but it shakes around some. Will that be ok? or no?
I wouldn't mount the bottle like that. If you plan to race at an NHRA sanctioned track, that will not pass tech. It is also a little unsafe. If the wood breaks then you have a high pressure aluminum bottle rolling around your trunk. You don't want to find out what would happen if the valve on the bottle broke or gets damaged.

Originally Posted by KillJoy
I see alot of people hiding their arming switch.. its a cool idea, but it is not convenient at all. If you needed to shut the kit down at any given time, the switch is not readily available. While I know you could simply let your foot up, I like my main power switch close and easily accessed by me sitting comfortably in the driver seat
I agree. I have my purge and arming switch mounted to the bottom of the dash and can easily be reached from the driver seat.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM
xXFalcoXx

I just got a microedge and I'm wondering if you had a picture or could explain where you got your power, ground, and tps/rpm signal from around the pcm? That seems like it would be a lot more convenient than how I was planning on doing it and I'm sure it would end up a lot cleaner too
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Well I sort of made negative progress today and am still pretty pissed/stumped. I got my switches hooked up, got the rest of the wideband hooked up and painted my gauge pod(and discovered I'm quite rich at wot). After all that I tested the microedge to make sure both my stage 1 and stage 2 wire were getting voltage at wot when armed, and what do ya know, neither one of them are getting any voltage even tho it's saying "spray" on the unit. Not sure why, whenever it said "spray" when i had this hooked up before those wires always got steady volts. now nothing. I just made a thread on the hsw help forum so hopefully they have an idea. I've heard that the internal fuses on these are extremely easy to blow and if I blew both of them and they're gonna try and charge me an insane amount of money I'm going to be heated.

But anyways, here's a picture of my gauge pod as it sits, covered the empty hole with electrical tape/a sticker so it didn't look so empty for now...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xXFalcoXx
I just got a microedge and I'm wondering if you had a picture or could explain where you got your power, ground, and tps/rpm signal from around the pcm? That seems like it would be a lot more convenient than how I was planning on doing it and I'm sure it would end up a lot cleaner too
For the rpm signal I tapped into a light green/white wire in the pcm main harness, it's pin number 26. For the tps signal I tapped into I believe a gray/white wire, pin number 89. The ground is easy to see there's a little bolt with one black wire running to it down in that area in plain site, i just made a wire with a circle end on it and attached it to that wire. For power I tapped into a solid red wire that goes into a smaller gray connector which is right in front of the pcm. there's a few red wires on the connector tho so find the one that is switched power and tap into that one. If you want pictures of the ground, power wire, and rpm wire go to the raptor shift light website and look in their instructions, they have good pictures of them.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
xXFalcoXx

Alright thanks man. And thats gonna be a sweet setup when it's all done!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

well even tho the microedge isn't working and i wont be spraying for a while now, I decided to keep on with the install. Got another task done...mounted jeffy in his new home. Since I couldn't think of any way to get my hands above the tank to put nuts on the screws, I just used the technique of drilling a small hole then punching some metal down so the hole was larger, then tapped it and used that to mount the holder, just like I did on my buddies oil pan. Works ok but I have a feeling it will wear out eventually. when I get a fuel pump to put in I'll throw some real nuts on the bolts. here's a pic tho...

I'm sure I wont make any more progress until next week. as this weekend is filled with putting in my converter then the holiday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my ongoing nitrous install thread...