4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

American Muscle wheels vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Yup. The wheels are not true in any way shape or form. I think of the 8 I have maybe 2 are CLOSE but even those 2 are not right and so far I am not impressed with AM's compensation with this. I'll continue to keep everyone updated and let you guys know what they do for me in the end.

BTW does anyone know an Alex at AM? I was dealing with Chris and now this guy just took it over.
If you are talking about Chris Shreve, Yup I dealt with him. And I think I dealt with Alex. I had four people at on point involved including a manager.

I think you were on to something with the hub centric issue. I think you are right and the stock wheels sit real tight on the lugs. Very litle wiggle room. The after market wheels have wiggle room.

So if we were to remove the wiggle room and the wheels are true then the ride should be as good as stock. Question: how do we remove the wiggle room?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

Like these would probably solve the issue.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RP...NG&prefilter=1
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mixednuts

Those work for centering the wheel onto hub.
But still the force is on your lugs for the most part.

No probs here with my FR500 from A.M also shipped fast.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

put a set of stock rims on your car and I bet they will do the same thing that your silly test did. Rims are not 100% true and tires are not 100% true this is the point of Balancing. buy the hubcentric rings posted above and end your heartache
Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Those work for centering the wheel onto hub.
But still the force is on your lugs for the most part.

No probs here with my FR500 from A.M also shipped fast.
They would work provided the hubs were actually centered. But they won't work anyway, the wheels from AM at least mine measure about 71mm, where as factory are 70.5mm I believe. You'd need one damn small centering ring, but but in some cases it doesn't seem that that's the issue. A centering ring won't fix the side to side wobble I have.

Originally Posted by BraMas
put a set of stock rims on your car and I bet they will do the same thing that your silly test did. Rims are not 100% true and tires are not 100% true this is the point of Balancing. buy the hubcentric rings posted above and end your heartache

Agreed, to a point. The part where I disagree is that a factory wheel would not wobble as bad as these do. Also balancing will not fix a side to side wobble. Now granted the side to side motion will not effect vibrations as much as a hop, but it will still factor in.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Seems like you and AM need to cut your losses and return all the wheels and be done.
It is getting way too expensive for all parties involved here. They may have received a bad batch of wheels and none of what is in their inventory may be any different, although I would be surprised if that were the case. Every customer would be calling them about this issue and it would become apparent to them very quickly.

I have 6 wheels from AM and all of them were fine. So I would hate if anyone didn't buy wheels from AM assuming that they would have the same problems you have had.

GOOD LUCK getting a final resolution to this issue!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Seems like you and AM need to cut your losses and return all the wheels and be done.
It is getting way too expensive for all parties involved here. They may have received a bad batch of wheels and none of what is in their inventory may be any different, although I would be surprised if that were the case. Every customer would be calling them about this issue and it would become apparent to them very quickly.

I have 6 wheels from AM and all of them were fine. So I would hate if anyone didn't buy wheels from AM assuming that they would have the same problems you have had.

GOOD LUCK getting a final resolution to this issue!
Well it's pretty obvious there is something wrong. As said above I know wheels won't be perfect, but IMO at least 2 of those 4 wheels are definitely bad. I'm dropping the car off at the shop Thursday for one final look to put the best 4 wheels on the car. Of course at this point my black lug nuts are trashed, and the wheels have a few scratches on them from the constant on and off with impact wrenches. But whatever I'll pay for a couple of the shop bills myself I just want the freaking car fixed. I just hope AM steps up and does something for me.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Ok, got the car back. Long story short, changing 2 more wheels did nothing, maybe even made it worse. The mechanic said all 6 I gave him were bad. For example one wheel BARE took 1oz of weight on the outside and .75oz on the inside. The wheels are flat out not right and apparently they are just bad quality wheels (now I realize why AM wouldn't tell me who manufactured them).

Again I realize they are not the ones making the wheels, so we'll see how well they take care of me which will make my decision as to if I ever buy from them again or not and or give good or bad recommendations. So far it's been 9 days since I heard from them; I e-mailed them 4 times, twice 9 days ago, once 7 days ago, and just now so we'll see when they get back what they decide to do. They better decide fast because I have as much laid out in bills almost as the wheels cost me.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

69 - Stop emailing them and call them - get a manager if you have to. Stay on them until they fix the problem and you are satisfied OR have them send call tickets for all the wheels, send them back, get a full refund and get reimbursed all the shop costs. None of this should cost you anything except the cost of the wheels. It's on them to make it right. Thats what I did. Did you pay with a credit card?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

69 - Stop emailing them and call them - get a manager if you have to. Stay on them until they fix the problem and you are satisfied OR have them send call tickets for all the wheels, send them back, get a full refund and get reimbursed all the shop costs. None of this should cost you anything except the cost of the wheels. It's on them to make it right. Thats what I did. Did you pay with a credit card?
I generally agree with this idea. Email is convenient for simple information requests. Negotiations need to be done person to person. Speaking with a manager is required to resolve this.

AM may be a little sensitive to absorbing all costs associated with multiple shop costs without their prior approval. I can see them eating some of these costs.

Returning all the wheels is probably the best plan at this point. If none of the wheels shipped to date have met the fundamental quality standards of the purchaser, none of the future wheels are likely to do so either.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results.

I empathize with OP on his disatisfaction with this purchase and I hope he is able to reach an acceptable resolution.

Quick Reply: American Muscle wheels vibration problem