4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

American Muscle wheels vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Drove the car, it's still not right, but I suppose it's allowable. Certainly not as smooth as my winter wheels, but whatever I'm just sick of this at this point and them not getting back to me is really starting to get under my skin.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Drove the car, it's still not right, but I suppose it's allowable. Certainly not as smooth as my winter wheels, but whatever I'm just sick of this at this point and them not getting back to me is really starting to get under my skin.

Same here - It's not the same for me either. I drove my car again today and it's better but no where near stock. Ya live and ya learn. At this point I think the Sumi tires are to blame for a lot of road feel and that they are junk. This is my first experience with that brand and it will be my last.

Remember everything I have has been road forced balanced by Ford and check out good.

I guess my good and their good are different. Maybe I'm looking for perfect and I'm not going to get it.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:00 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mixednuts
Same here - It's not the same for me either. I drove my car again today and it's better but no where near stock. Ya live and ya learn. At this point I think the Sumi tires are to blame for a lot of road feel and that they are junk. This is my first experience with that brand and it will be my last.

Remember everything I have has been road forced balanced by Ford and check out good.

I guess my good and their good are different. Maybe I'm looking for perfect and I'm not going to get it.
I'm starting to think the problem also lies in the fact that the wheels need weight bare. I don't feel vibration until 50-55 and no longer have the hopping at lower speeds. But yeah sumi tires suck haha, they're cheap for a reason, you can use a bucket full of wheel weights and never get them to balance. I have the proxes 4's on mine and it doesn't seem to help (I've never had a problem with Toyo) so I think a large part of it is the wheels if not all.

Anyway, I called AM. I don't know what the outcome is going to be yet but it does seem like they're really going to step up. Don't know why I didn't get e-mails for 2 weeks (Alex said was out the beginning of this week, but who knows about last week). Either way I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Looks like were going to pull away from the Saleen wheels altogether and go for a set of staggered FR500's and see if we have better luck with them. I'm waiting on approval for them to balance the wheels and see if they're good before they send them to me. This way I don't have to play monkey games seeing whats good and whats not, I'll know I'm getting a good set of wheels.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
I'm starting to think the problem also lies in the fact that the wheels need weight bare. I don't feel vibration until 50-55 and no longer have the hopping at lower speeds. But yeah sumi tires suck haha, they're cheap for a reason, you can use a bucket full of wheel weights and never get them to balance. I have the proxes 4's on mine and it doesn't seem to help (I've never had a problem with Toyo) so I think a large part of it is the wheels if not all.

Anyway, I called AM. I don't know what the outcome is going to be yet but it does seem like they're really going to step up. Don't know why I didn't get e-mails for 2 weeks (Alex said was out the beginning of this week, but who knows about last week). Either way I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Looks like were going to pull away from the Saleen wheels altogether and go for a set of staggered FR500's and see if we have better luck with them. I'm waiting on approval for them to balance the wheels and see if they're good before they send them to me. This way I don't have to play monkey games seeing whats good and whats not, I'll know I'm getting a good set of wheels.

YUP, phone call is the ONLY way to deal with this type of issue.
Glad to hear you will try something different for a better result.
GOOD LUCK!
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Wheels are supposed to come today, they said they put them on the balancer and all spun needing no or little weight with limited hopping/wobble. I'm going to have the mechanic throw them on the balancer before I mount everything myself, but hopefully I finally will be getting a good set.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Mixednuts
2nd Gear Member

I fixed my wheel problem - I moved up to a GT500 - guess I'll be in a different section of the forum going forward. Good luck 69. I hope it works out for you. I'll keep checking this thread to see if you get it resolved.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Ok well yesterday I was told each wheel balanced perfect or .25 oz off. I get the wheels today and they are taking between 2-3 oz on the inside or outside alone, that's not even combined!!!!! I was just on hold for 15 minutes and the 2 guys who were handling this are not in. I'm waiting for a call back from someone right now. I'm livid. These wheels are more off balance than the ones I have now!!! To be continued yet again.... I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Ok AM just spilled the beans. They got a bad batch of wheels in and are literally scrapping them because they were so out of round. So apparently I'm getting the ones they missed or something. So I'm not crazy and that explains why some of you guys didn't have a problem. I'm on that phone now, hows that for a real time update! haha
Old 07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Ok they claim they spun well and because of the nature of the FR500 they will take more weight bare. They insisted I mount the tires and say I won't have a problem. So I'm going to beg for an appointment tomorrow and see what happens, hopefully I can get one and get them mounted up. Keep you guys updated, wish me luck!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

I have the gt4 wheels from am and have no issues.

Quick Reply: American Muscle wheels vibration problem