Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

American Muscle wheels vibration problem

Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #41
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Bullitt Mustang

You can do a visual of runout with the wheels mounted to either the balancer or your car. Rig a screwdriver tip(or other pointed tool), on a jackstand or other stable base, near the lip of the rim and rotate it slowly while looking for relative movement from the tool. This could quickly tell you if the wheels are straight and round.

I'm sure this problem sucks! Good luck figuring it out.

I also ALWAYS loosen all lug nuts and torque them evenly after any shop has removed and remounted my wheel/tire assemblies. It is NOT uncommon to have the lugs tightened to very different torques from a pnuematic tool. This shouldn't cause out of round wheels, but it can have an effect on your rotors and therefore assume it could also have some small effect on the straightness of wheels.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
HiTech stageII cams, BBK Ceramic LongTubes, MAC ProChamber, Flowmaster50series, SteedaUDP, JLT CAI, MGW, SVT Focus Fuel Pump, H&R Race springs, Bilstein HD, MM CC Plates, MM FLSFC, Eibach Swaybars, MM LCA, MM Pan-hard, 3.91gears, AuburnPro diff, Moser31splines, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Bullitts, Dark smoked headlights w/ 55W HID, chin spoiler. 283rwhp/298torque (motor), 417rwhp/498torque (latest nitrous tune) 12.5@110.5mph (motor w/ 1.77 60'), 11.66@120.9mph (1.78 60')on nitrous.
TRUEBLUE3934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #42
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934 View Post
You can do a visual of runout with the wheels mounted to either the balancer or your car. Rig a screwdriver tip(or other pointed tool), on a jackstand or other stable base, near the lip of the rim and rotate it slowly while looking for relative movement from the tool. This could quickly tell you if the wheels are straight and round.

I'm sure this problem sucks! Good luck figuring it out.

I also ALWAYS loosen all lug nuts and torque them evenly after any shop has removed and remounted my wheel/tire assemblies. It is NOT uncommon to have the lugs tightened to very different torques from a pnuematic tool. This shouldn't cause out of round wheels, but it can have an effect on your rotors and therefore assume it could also have some small effect on the straightness of wheels.
I did watch them on the balancer, they hop a little bit, but not bad. The wheels looked to be ok but who knows. It does suck, but AM is backing their product and is willing to step up. I'll keep everyone posted as I find out more.
69MustangCoupe393cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #43
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Vehicle: 05 GT Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraMas View Post
Are you talking about the washers that are put on during assembly @ Ford? Even if those happen to still be on they are not going to cause any vibration.
I had same problem with after market rims. Took off the washers/clips. Perfect!

Mustang Ladies Club

Sidewayz 6.0 won me in a poker game
Margarita Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #44
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Girl View Post
I had same problem with after market rims. Took off the washers/clips. Perfect!
Did that already, no dice. :/
Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #45
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Still dealing with this issue. Does anyone know the hub bore size for my 2000 GT? It's still got the factory SRA no IRS yet. Also if anyone knows the size of the AM Saleen wheel bore that would be awesome too. I think I'm going to try some centering rings.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #46
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Ok I measured the wheels/hubs and the wheels are apparently hub centric so there is no need for centering rings. I got a roadforce balance done on all 4 wheels and the damn thing still vibrates in the seat and the wheel. This is the 3rd time it's been to the shop for this (2 different shops). What in gods name can be causing this? The road force balancer should detect an out of round wheel, all 4 tires balanced up ok without any issues. Someone please help I'm about to lose my mind over this.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #47
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Vehicle: 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
TJ Brillhart

warped axle possibly. Every pop them out to check them out? Check out your suspension bushings as well.

Member of Team IRS-GT #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT View Post
Saying there is a 1whp difference between the X and H and trying to justify it as a performance difference, is like walking 100 feet to your car and eating a cheeseburger while saying its fine because you just did "cardio".
teej281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #48
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I'm with teeJ281 on his thoughts.
If you know another guy with a Mustang, swap a couple of his tires onto your car and see if the problem still exists. It seems like your issue is not related to your wheels. Also, a tire that is slightly out of round can balance out on a spin balancer, but cause a vibration when run down the road.

GOOD LUCK figuring out this issue!
HiTech stageII cams, BBK Ceramic LongTubes, MAC ProChamber, Flowmaster50series, SteedaUDP, JLT CAI, MGW, SVT Focus Fuel Pump, H&R Race springs, Bilstein HD, MM CC Plates, MM FLSFC, Eibach Swaybars, MM LCA, MM Pan-hard, 3.91gears, AuburnPro diff, Moser31splines, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Bullitts, Dark smoked headlights w/ 55W HID, chin spoiler. 283rwhp/298torque (motor), 417rwhp/498torque (latest nitrous tune) 12.5@110.5mph (motor w/ 1.77 60'), 11.66@120.9mph (1.78 60')on nitrous.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #49
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej281 View Post
warped axle possibly. Every pop them out to check them out? Check out your suspension bushings as well.
Quote:
I'm with teeJ281 on his thoughts.
If you know another guy with a Mustang, swap a couple of his tires onto your car and see if the problem still exists. It seems like your issue is not related to your wheels. Also, a tire that is slightly out of round can balance out on a spin balancer, but cause a vibration when run down the road.

GOOD LUCK figuring out this issue!

The car is smooth as a babys *** with my winter (factory) wheels/tires.

Also as far as a tire being out of round, it seems to be coming from the steering wheel and the floor boards, I doubt more than one tires is OOR. I also had the tires balanced with a hunter roadforce balancer, which detects high and low spots and all 4 came out good.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #50
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

TJ Brillhart

I dont know what to tell you then man. Is AM willing to give you new wheels or work something out with you anyways?

Member of Team IRS-GT #2

Quote:
Saying there is a 1whp difference between the X and H and trying to justify it as a performance difference, is like walking 100 feet to your car and eating a cheeseburger while saying its fine because you just did "cardio".
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #51
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
I dont know what to tell you then man. Is AM willing to give you new wheels or work something out with you anyways?
Yeah but this **** sucks haha. AM, myself, and my mechanic are trying to figure out why. I'm just trying to get ideas. My mechanic is a race car driver (certified too, not a backyard driver) so I'm hoping we can figure this out soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #52
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 99 Ford Mustang GT & 97 Cobra SVT

I have their FR500s and Nitto tires and have had no problems at all so far.
I know if you bought the Sumi tires there would be issues,Its just a real bad tire from past experience using them.
But Sumi quality isnt AM problem.

So I give AM a thumbs up !!!!

1997 SVT Cobra #6149 of 6961
Repzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #53
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repzard View Post
I have their FR500s and Nitto tires and have had no problems at all so far.
I know if you bought the Sumi tires there would be issues,Its just a real bad tire from past experience using them.
But Sumi quality isnt AM problem.

So I give AM a thumbs up !!!!
Nope, I bought Toyo's. Basically Nitto's, Nitto is a sister company to Toyo. But had I bought the Sumi's it would be AM problem, they sold me something of bad quality that is not really streetable. You're basically telling me that since AM didn't physically produce the wheels it's not their problem. Sorry but I do not agree.

But that being said, I did say multiple times in this thread AM is willing to step up. So I have nothing against them so long as they make it right, which so far they seem to be trying to do.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #54
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

TJ Brillhart

Umm...technically it wouldn't be their problem. I sell cars and that would be like a car manufacturer selling you a car with tires, and one of your tires has an issue. The tires themselves are warranted by the tire company, not the car manufacturer. So technically AM would not be required to do anything. So anything you get from them is above and beyond the call of duty. It wouldn't be their fault you got a bum tire. It's the manufacturer's fault for sending out a bum tire.

A lot of people misunderstand the purpose of a company like AM. They are a dealer and distributor. Nothing more. If you have an issue with a part, they are there to help. But in the end it's not their responsibility to replace a bad part. It's the manufacturer that made the part's responsibility to replace it. While it will help to contact them and make them aware of the issue, they don't really have to do anything. AM probably will in many cases, because theyre awesome. But if you got something wrong with something you got from them, remember in your frustration that they didn't make the part so how can they take responsibility for it being bad? the money you paid to them might have some profit in it but they had to either pay for the part to keep it in stock or floorplan it and then pay for it later(post-sale).

I'm not pointing fingers, just throwing it out there for those that don't really understand the point of a dealer. It's like buying a GM...you can't blame the salesman for making a piece of junk

Member of Team IRS-GT #2

Quote:
Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #55
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid View Post
Yeah but this **** sucks haha. AM, myself, and my mechanic are trying to figure out why. I'm just trying to get ideas. My mechanic is a race car driver (certified too, not a backyard driver) so I'm hoping we can figure this out soon.
Dont feel like reading through this again, have you tried different tires?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #56
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Umm...technically it wouldn't be their problem. I sell cars and that would be like a car manufacturer selling you a car with tires, and one of your tires has an issue. The tires themselves are warranted by the tire company, not the car manufacturer. So technically AM would not be required to do anything. So anything you get from them is above and beyond the call of duty. It wouldn't be their fault you got a bum tire. It's the manufacturer's fault for sending out a bum tire.

A lot of people misunderstand the purpose of a company like AM. They are a dealer and distributor. Nothing more. If you have an issue with a part, they are there to help. But in the end it's not their responsibility to replace a bad part. It's the manufacturer that made the part's responsibility to replace it. While it will help to contact them and make them aware of the issue, they don't really have to do anything. AM probably will in many cases, because theyre awesome. But if you got something wrong with something you got from them, remember in your frustration that they didn't make the part so how can they take responsibility for it being bad? the money you paid to them might have some profit in it but they had to either pay for the part to keep it in stock or floorplan it and then pay for it later(post-sale).

I'm not pointing fingers, just throwing it out there for those that don't really understand the point of a dealer. It's like buying a GM...you can't blame the salesman for making a piece of junk
Technically it IS their problem. They as a dealer as responsible to make things right. I understand what a dealer is. Believe me. But its their responsibility as a dealer is to contact their supplier to say wtf. To be a good dealer you have to back the products you sell, not sell them and then say sorry contact the number on the paperwork in the box.

If I go to walmart and get a speaker wire and the wire was bad, do I go and send it back to the manufacturer and wait 3 weeks? No. I go back to walmart, they give me a new one and they deal with it. I work retail, we send back defects all the time, that's part of being a good dealer as you call it and having good customer service.

Now that being said, I have told Chris at AM probably 3 times in our conversations back and forth I appreciate all his help and understand it is not his fault. I'm keeping my cool and keeping a level head. I understand these things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberstang1 View Post
Dont feel like reading through this again, have you tried different tires?
Not yet, the roadforce test basically tests the rims and tires for out of round. Now the only thing it does that is bad in this case that I can think of, is balance and test off the hub. What I mean by this is that the test and balance came out ok, but the mustang is lug centric so when I bolt it up, the bolt pattern can be drilled off center which is making this all happen. I feel a hop at low speed (10pmh) so something is either out of round, or not centered on the hub.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #57
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

TJ Brillhart

Ultimately it's good customer service for them to help, but not to replace. They help you get a new wheel at the cost of the wheel manufacturer. But they aren't a large enough company to give replacements and then go and fight it out with a manufacturer.

That's all I'm saying. I work in retail as well so I think I may be coming across a little off because I get to deal with idiots that point blame on me or a coworker to the point where it's our fault that the car is bad and you can imagine how that story goes. But I think I understand you're mindset that it's their responsibility to help you, but ultimately it's the manufacturer that will replace the wheel and eat te cost of the wheel, not AM.

Member of Team IRS-GT #2

Quote:
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #58
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Ultimately it's good customer service for them to help, but not to replace. They help you get a new wheel at the cost of the wheel manufacturer. But they aren't a large enough company to give replacements and then go and fight it out with a manufacturer.

That's all I'm saying. I work in retail as well so I think I may be coming across a little off because I get to deal with idiots that point blame on me or a coworker to the point where it's our fault that the car is bad and you can imagine how that story goes. But I think I understand you're mindset that it's their responsibility to help you, but ultimately it's the manufacturer that will replace the wheel and eat te cost of the wheel, not AM.
Oh yeah agreed 100%. It's definitly not AM's fault, but unless they wanna give me their supplier info they have to help me haha. But I see no reason why their supplier won't give them a credit if we do find a defective wheel or wheels. Now in the off case that a supplier will not credit them, they should replace my wheel free of charge to keep me as a customer. I know my company has done that numerous times. We deal with warrentys later, customers come first. But I definitly agree with you, I can't stand idots that just don't understand how things work.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #59
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Have you at least narrowed it down to the wheel/tire that is causing the problem?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #60
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Have you at least narrowed it down to the wheel/tire that is causing the problem?
I measured the spokes on all 4 wheels and 2 of them are off center. FL and RR wheels. AM is going to send me another set of wheels and I'm going to test all 8 and go from there. I might pull the 2 bad wheels/tires tomorrow and throw my snows on for a test and see if it goes away or gets better with the 2 measured bad ones off the car.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1996, american, cobra, convertible, ford, muscle, mussle, mustang, problems, round, saleen, tires, vibration, wheel, wheels