4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

American Muscle wheels vibration problem

Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Wrong. It depends on how bad this wabble is. Do as Moonshine and I are suggesting. Take the wheels off and look for the washer on at least one of the wheels studs.

It happened to me when I got 18" saleen wheels from Cruzin Concepts. I also thought about a balancing issue, using right lug nuts, torquing the nuts right etc. It all came down to taking those washers off. Especially if you know you have stock untouched brakes. Chances are it's still on there.

You would be dumb NOT to check since it's free and only takes 30 min to check all the wheels.

Here, Page 10 post #96....pics are worth 1000 words. These were from Cruizin Concepts, but I wouldn;t doubt if they use the same vendor.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...inions-10.html
Yeah pulled the wheels last night, took 2 washers off each front wheel. No dice, still shakes. Trying alignment and wheel balance again monday.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Kmelfi got new wheels?!
Was able to get the wheels I really wanted! Also ordered a 25mm spacers and some new lugs.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Wrong. It depends on how bad this wabble is. Do as Moonshine and I are suggesting. Take the wheels off and look for the washer on at least one of the wheels studs.

It happened to me when I got 18" saleen wheels from Cruzin Concepts. I also thought about a balancing issue, using right lug nuts, torquing the nuts right etc. It all came down to taking those washers off. Especially if you know you have stock untouched brakes. Chances are it's still on there.

You would be dumb NOT to check since it's free and only takes 30 min to check all the wheels.

Here, Page 10 post #96....pics are worth 1000 words. These were from Cruizin Concepts, but I wouldn;t doubt if they use the same vendor.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...inions-10.html
I misunderstood what you guys meant. I thought you guys where saying the weight of the washers was throwing the wheel out of balance. I see what you meant know
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Those BBS's are almost as sexy as the Fikse's I want

Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
Was able to get the wheels I really wanted! Also ordered a 25mm spacers and some new lugs.

I LOVE those wheels!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

I wish I could afford nice light weight wheels. MY car's slow as ***** now with the heavy *** wheel/tire package I have now haha
Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Did you consider the fact that 18s ride rougher than 17s. (assuming you switched from 17 to 18)

Also, what sidewall are you running? The smaller the sidewall, the harser the ride...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

I would also recommend checking what smitty2919 mentioned. He had spoke with one of our sales reps John who told him to check our balance with a road force test and had he known about such a simple check he would have probably suggested that before testing the balancing. Glad I'm now more aware of such a thing thanks to Smitty.

Likely they are in balance if you see tape weights on the inside of the barrel of the wheels. There are however a very low percentage of tires that have a high spot or low spot somewhere in the tread and this could certainly cause a vibration.

Did you order the wheels from AM and the tires elsewhere? If so then wheels without the protection of a tire can get dropped hard enough during transit to warp the wheel. This can generally be seen on a balancing machine though unless very minor. When the wheels are being spun up on a balancer you can see the wheel flang/top of the wheel rising up and down if it's out of round.

If its not the wheel there is that small chance its the tire. If you feel the vibration coming from the back you could actually test it yourself by carefully lifting both rear wheels and running at a very low speed and watching first the top edge of each wheel and if this appears to be staying smooth then you want to focus on the tread. If the tread appears to be moving up and down at some point this is the tire.

Sometimes if it is the tire you can fix this with a high quality road force balance but if its so many pounds out the tire would be considered defective. Good news is that Toyo has a good tire warranty and if there were to be a rare issue with the tire you could probably get a free replacement.

Mike
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 PM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

I would also recommend checking what smitty2919 mentioned. He had spoke with one of our sales reps John who told him to check our balance with a road force test and had he known about such a simple check he would have probably suggested that before testing the balancing. Glad I'm now more aware of such a thing thanks to Smitty.

Likely they are in balance if you see tape weights on the inside of the barrel of the wheels. There are however a very low percentage of tires that have a high spot or low spot somewhere in the tread and this could certainly cause a vibration.

Did you order the wheels from AM and the tires elsewhere? If so then wheels without the protection of a tire can get dropped hard enough during transit to warp the wheel. This can generally be seen on a balancing machine though unless very minor. When the wheels are being spun up on a balancer you can see the wheel flang/top of the wheel rising up and down if it's out of round.

If its not the wheel there is that small chance its the tire. If you feel the vibration coming from the back you could actually test it yourself by carefully lifting both rear wheels and running at a very low speed and watching first the top edge of each wheel and if this appears to be staying smooth then you want to focus on the tread. If the tread appears to be moving up and down at some point this is the tire.

Sometimes if it is the tire you can fix this with a high quality road force balance but if its so many pounds out the tire would be considered defective. Good news is that Toyo has a good tire warranty and if there were to be a rare issue with the tire you could probably get a free replacement.

Mike
Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'm leaning towards the fact your caster camber plates aren't seated properly, when I first installed mine I had the stepped spacer at the end of the strut stud on the top right before the nut (because UPRs directions suck ***) took it for a ride and it vibrated and and was a horrible ride. Called UPR and it turns out the stepped spacer was supposed to go UNDER the strut tower, once fixed it was smooth as day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: American Muscle wheels vibration problem