4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2.1 Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Default 2.1 Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit

Heya is it safe for a 2002 mustang GT 4.6L engine to run the kenne bell 2.1 6PSI kit with NO intercooler? I only want the basic kit at 6psi and save money without the intercooler cause I only need 100 more HP to ease my HP greed... I see the kit on their site for about $3800 is that a decent deal?

Id rather not go with a centri supercharger just cause I like the way the Kenne Bell sounds.

Thoughts? opinions?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

It'll be safe. It even comes with a canned tune! Pretty much plug and play. But no possible intercooler is pretty lame. Stuck with a custom job.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yeah it will be safe. One thing to remember is that just because you may get 100 hp on the dyno, you may loose a decent portion of that number on hot summer days when getting heavy into boost. Twin screw + no intercooler = LOTS of heat = loss of power. Just something you should be aware of.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Procharger ftw.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Yeah it will be safe. One thing to remember is that just because you may get 100 hp on the dyno, you may loose a decent portion of that number on hot summer days when getting heavy into boost. Twin screw + no intercooler = LOTS of heat = loss of power. Just something you should be aware of.
This^

Exact reason I went intercooled, it may be a little bit more expensive but I would wait just a little bit longer and save up for the i/c if i were you, its well worth it. I wanna say @ 6psi non intercooled you'll be lookin at around 345ish/380ish which will only drop once the heat starts to come into play.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 PM
WolfRugger52

Which is exactly why I'm waiting till July to get my 9psi i/c kit. Do it once and do it right. The biggest problem that I've seen my friends do with their cars is do something half way and then want more, when they could've just waited a little longer and done it right and been perfectly happy.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WolfRugger52
Which is exactly why I'm waiting till July to get my 9psi i/c kit. Do it once and do it right. The biggest problem that I've seen my friends do with their cars is do something half way and then want more, when they could've just waited a little longer and done it right and been perfectly happy.
+1 my buddies do the same thing...
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 PM
WolfRugger52

Originally Posted by 98redstang
+1 my buddies do the same thing...
Thanks 98redstang I can't believe how many people I've told this to. Everyone just gets too headstrong about wanting something then get disappointed when they cheap out or don't wait to do it properly. I hate waiting, but I've waited about four years due to paying for college and working/family stuff and am finally (thanks to hard work and a baller internship) going to be able to slap that KB on my mustang! Just goes to show you, if you put in the work it'll pay off and you'll def get what you deserve.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Procharger ftw.
+1 million, not like I have a reason to be biased or anything. I highley advice against non-intercooled KBs, my good friend and also a forum member hear (cobrafrenzy) has a 96 cobra with a non intercooled 2.1 and its notthing but heatsoak heaven on hot days. In response to the OP its perfectly "Safe" with a good tune but expect powerloss from heatsoak on hot days.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WolfRugger52
Thanks 98redstang I can't believe how many people I've told this to. Everyone just gets too headstrong about wanting something then get disappointed when they cheap out or don't wait to do it properly. I hate waiting, but I've waited about four years due to paying for college and working/family stuff and am finally (thanks to hard work and a baller internship) going to be able to slap that KB on my mustang! Just goes to show you, if you put in the work it'll pay off and you'll def get what you deserve.
yep thats how i do it. I keep savin and wait and do it once and right

Originally Posted by uberstang1
+1 million, not like I have a reason to be biased or anything. I highley advice against non-intercooled KBs, my good friend and also a forum member hear (cobrafrenzy) has a 96 cobra with a non intercooled 2.1 and its notthing but heatsoak heaven on hot days. In response to the OP its perfectly "Safe" with a good tune but expect powerloss from heatsoak on hot days.
yeah i mean its not like you have a procharger pshhh. and op just to reenforce it dont get the non intercooled one!!!! haha

Quick Reply: 2.1 Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit