4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Procharger or Vortech?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by 97stanger
I like the engineering of a Vortech...I wonder why you can't run/buy a procharger without an intercooler??? hmmmmm

Notice guys running Vortechs without i/cs and the results...now slap an i/c on there and you have a blower setup just as/if not more efficient than that prochargers

btw, vortech offers self contained as well...dont know why people are so negative about tapping the oil pan anyway? Me personally, I would rather only change the oil once anyway
I would have to say the reason procharger doesn't offer a non-intercooled blower is because intercooling or aftercooling is the right way to put together a supercharger kit.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Id think because their blowers heat soak without an intercooler, making them way less efficient

Ask 99% of the guys out there without an intercooler/aftercooler and running meth...see how they feel when you tell them they have a s/c kit thats not put together right.... and their temps are cooler and octane is higher than a car with just an i/c or a/c

Last edited by 97stanger; 05-11-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Im only pushing 6psi but my car seems to be fine without an intercooler Iplan on running one later bc i plan on running more boost through it but vortech support advised me that once I get to 10psi range with my kit then start looking into a intercooler. I called three diff times to get dif advice from different tech and they all three said the same. The Only issue I had was the belt and that was bc my tensioner that was already on my car/stock was bad. Replacement tensioner and gates belt no issues to this date. (knock on wood).
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I would have to say the reason procharger doesn't offer a non-intercooled blower is because intercooling or aftercooling is the right way to put together a supercharger kit.
^^^

What he said. Procharger does it right the first time and doesn't offer without it to lead to problems/ having to add meth. Vortech does not intercool the basic "cheap" kit and you get what you pay for low boost which is great for most street cars. When was the last time you saw a Vortech on a 750-1,500 horse engine?

Don't get me confused Vortech is great for mild performance street cars.

"btw, vortech offers self contained as well...dont know why people are so negative about tapping the oil pan anyway? Me personally, I would rather only change the oil once anyway"

Do you run 5w-20 in your rear end? Motor oil is not ideal for the transmission step down gears and bearings in the blower head unit. Self Contained head units can run the specific oil designed for the clearances in all of the gears and bearings. Even Vortech caught onto that and started offering it after Procharger came up with the idea.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

my "mild performance street car" will be pushing out 600rwhp through an auto, should be easy high 10 second car

our cars with 10psi can be maxed out even without an i/c

of course (which as you can see) you will have people nutswinging from procharger or vortech

when it comes to it, the truth is...no, you dont NEED an i/c to max these motors out, of course it will help, however you can buy a vortech kit, add meth, and you will have a safer motor and more power

And just to let you know, this is coming from a guy with an I/C AND meth
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

my "mild performance street car" will be pushing out 600rwhp through an auto, should be easy high 10 second car

of course (which as you can see) you will have people nutswinging from procharger or vortech

when it comes to it, the truth is...no, you dont NEED an i/c to max these motors out, of course it will help, however you can buy a vortech kit, add meth, and you will have a safer motor and more power

very well put! Im suprised you didnt address the "motor oil in the vortech head unit statement" that was posted rite above you. But well put.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 PM
ginomac
1st Gear Member

I am currently putting a P1SC Procharger in my 2v, I can let you know how it runs in about a week. But ive heard both procharger and vortechs are about the same thing.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
very well put! Im suprised you didnt address the "motor oil in the vortech head unit statement" that was posted rite above you. But well put.
the top end ProCharger use the "motor oil in the head unit" system because it works better.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Id think because their blowers heat soak without an intercooler, making them way less efficient

Ask 99% of the guys out there without an intercooler/aftercooler and running meth...see how they feel when you tell them they have a s/c kit thats not put together right.... and their temps are cooler and octane is higher than a car with just an i/c or a/c
Um, not trying to bust your *****, but there running meth... of course the intake temps are gonna be great. Thats how most people solve the 96-98 cobra heatsoak problems with the non-intercooled KB.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I understand what ur trying to say here but the bottom line is if your pushing big numbers and boost you can do it without intercooler BUT your gonna end up using meth. The bottom line is Intercooled > non boost cooled you just can't argue that. Its not like the low end vortechs come with the meth you have to purchase and set it up which could of been avoided if the kits came with some kind of boost cooler right out of the box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Procharger or Vortech?