4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Post your EXPERIENCES with different brands of SHOCKS AND STRUTS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Default Post your EXPERIENCES with different brands of SHOCKS AND STRUTS!

First off, does anyone know a website that offers paypal (billmelater) that sells the:
GROOVED BILSTEIN REAR SHOCKS that allow for a future coilover setup???

I'm looking for the most comfortable daily driver shocks and struts for maximum road absorbancy and comfort.

Anybody have any thoughts, as far a comfort and road condition absorbancy goes, on these...

So far what I've been seeing a lot of people use:
KYB's
Tokico's
Bilsteins

Here's what I think I know so far, but I'm open for correction:

KYB- closest to OEM, but slightly improved ride quality
Tokico- comparable to KYB, but offer more performance for cornering and racing.
Bilstein- Superior ride quality compared to both of the above mentioned... they just cost more.

Also there's Koni, Motorcraft, Lakewood, Edelbrock, Monroe, Gabriel, and Autotrust and I don't know anything about these...any input?

If I understand that right than I wouldn't mind paying an additional $40 per shock for the Bilsteins to get a better ride feel.

Also, how much do springs factor into all of this???
I'm willing to replace the springs if that may be causing how rough the ride feels. Originally I was thinking about lowering springs (only for looks), but if that is going to make the ride feel harder maybe I need to look into a softer spring and stop worrying so much about appearance.

I just want the car to feel nice on the road. I'm assuming it's so rough now because of the miles that are on the shocks and struts. With the research I've done I've seen that shocks should be replaced between 60,000 and 80,000mi. I have more than 80,000 so I'm hoping that's my problem.

ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED!!!

Last edited by Tommy079; 05-15-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Damn, 60-80k?

My cars at 102k and I haven't touched a single component of the suspension yet.

I'll be reading this thread as I'm looking to lower my car now that I have a real job. I however am NOT interested whatsoever in ride comfort.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:41 PM
natistang
1st Gear Member

I have Tokico hp blues with H&R supersport springs and it is about as comfortable as driving a wagon on the Oregon Trail. Stick with Bilsteins and stock springs if you are looking for comfort. My .02
Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I have the tokico HP's, but i am slammed on cut springs.

I just recently threw some 03/04 cobra bilstein struts up front and the ride quality noticeably improved. My car doesn't bounce anymore. It's so much more stable at speed. And it corners much better. The tires are glued to the road.

Just ordered bilstein HD shocks for the rear. Will let you know my opinion on them when i get em and get the time to put em in.

The HP's i took off are still good BTW. I May either hold onto em or put em up for sale for cheap.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

So you bought a reasonably priced sports car and you want it to drive what sounds like me a Lincoln?
Leave the Stock springs in and get the Bilsteins. Or sell it and get a Thunderbird or Mark VIII
Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I have tokico d-specs and some cheap lowering springs, couldn't be happier with the d-specs. They're adjustable, which is very nice when you're going on a long drive. You can crank them down and make them stiff as hell when you want to have some fun in the turns too. They're expensive though...
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

How much are the d-specs? I thought they were on the medium - high (low range of the high) price spectrum?

Bilstein HD's are like $220 a strut and 100 a shock!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
Damn, 60-80k?

My cars at 102k and I haven't touched a single component of the suspension yet ... "

Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

Hahahaha true that Jazzer!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
sell it and get a Thunderbird or Mark VIII
I am HIGHLY insulted I LOVE my Mustang! It's just it bangs hard as hell in the rear on even the slightest of bumpy roads. So it's obviously time to replace the shocks and probably the struts while I'm at it.

That being said, if you have to replace a part on your car you should do it to your goals for the car. I've only been here for a little bit and I've learned that much.

My goal is not to drive the enduro back streets of Italy at 75+mph, besides I live in New Mexico where most roads are straight whether I like it or not. I simply want to comfortably enjoy my Mustang! When I hit bumps I want my car to go smoothly over them and not jump all over the place. Not only that, but I'm over thirty and I have a broken disk in my lower back. My car is amazing...I just want it to feel amazing too.

So...screw your thunderbird recommendation (respectfully) and I think I will probably go with some Bilsteins.

Btw, thanks for your input

Last edited by Tommy079; 05-14-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Post your EXPERIENCES with different brands of SHOCKS AND STRUTS!