4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Well now i've gone and done it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
Running great. Its having some issues starting though. Not sure what it is, but when its cold, it will crank and fire, run for a second and die. Do this about 3-4 times and then finally it fires up.
Mine does this exact thing since I installed the KB and had it tuned. Not sure why at all it does this. It hasnt bothered me enough to really fix but lately im getting tired of it. Sometimes it takes 3 starts but when it finally starts it really fires up and doesnt do any of the lazy hesitation that it normally does on the first start or two. I cant really figure out if its air, fuel or spark that is the issue. And whether its tune related or mechanical.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Running great. Its having some issues starting though. Not sure what it is, but when its cold, it will crank and fire, run for a second and die. Do this about 3-4 times and then finally it fires up. One thing i do attribute to it though is still not having a tune on the motor. I had an oil burning issue when I first got the motor running, but after about 3000 miles, its all but gone. Must have been a couple stuck rings from the motor sitting for so long.

Motor still pulls great though despite that stuff. Still need an aluminum driveshaft, get a ton of vibration at like 100, so I havnt really tried to see how it pulls after that speed, but it gets up there in a lot more of a hurry than the ol sohc.

And the car is now officially parked for the winter. Put it away about 2 weeks ago, and we got our second helping of snow this past Monday
I obviously dont know your schedule, but are you going to look into that this winter while it's sitting?

I've got an aluminum DS on an otherwise stock 98 and it runs pretty good. This 2v crap sucks though, it runs outta steam around 110 which happens to be ~4800 rpm. Eh, what can I say, the 2v is toast. I'm still looking for an acceptable Mark Viii donor car in the area.

You wouldn't happen to have the intake off that 98 mark viii layin around would you?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I obviously dont know your schedule, but are you going to look into that this winter while it's sitting?

I've got an aluminum DS on an otherwise stock 98 and it runs pretty good. This 2v crap sucks though, it runs outta steam around 110 which happens to be ~4800 rpm. Eh, what can I say, the 2v is toast. I'm still looking for an acceptable Mark Viii donor car in the area.

You wouldn't happen to have the intake off that 98 mark viii layin around would you?
Not sure if I will do to much this winter, other than just cleaning up the engine bay. (non-insulated garage kinda sucks) I have been running the 19lb/hr injectors, and just last night i finally bought a set of 24lb/hr ones, so maybe that will fix my issue, but who knows till I try it.

Yea i'd love to have an aluminum ds but they're kinda pricey :-/ I'll have one by the time its back on the road next spring though. My 2v was the same way, once it hit about 100 it would fall on its face, even with 4.10's.

The one i have is actually for the 93-95 so it wouldn work in the stang unfortunately. I did have the correct one but sold it right away cuz i found the cobra intake. sorry man.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:11 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Mine does this exact thing since I installed the KB and had it tuned. Not sure why at all it does this. It hasnt bothered me enough to really fix but lately im getting tired of it. Sometimes it takes 3 starts but when it finally starts it really fires up and doesnt do any of the lazy hesitation that it normally does on the first start or two. I cant really figure out if its air, fuel or spark that is the issue. And whether its tune related or mechanical.
I've dug around into it a little bit but I cant find anything wrong, no loose connections, fuel pressure is good, flow rate of the fuel is good, my coils check out, plug wires are fine. My only other thought is maybe the evap system is causing it. Just dumping in a load of fuel vapors or not dumpin any in at all and causing it. No idea, I'm stumped as well.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 AM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

Just read through the whole build, goodjob!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03FASTGT
Just read through the whole build, goodjob!
Thanks man!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if I will do to much this winter, other than just cleaning up the engine bay. (non-insulated garage kinda sucks) I have been running the 19lb/hr injectors, and just last night i finally bought a set of 24lb/hr ones, so maybe that will fix my issue, but who knows till I try it.

Yea i'd love to have an aluminum ds but they're kinda pricey :-/ I'll have one by the time its back on the road next spring though. My 2v was the same way, once it hit about 100 it would fall on its face, even with 4.10's.

The one i have is actually for the 93-95 so it wouldn work in the stang unfortunately. I did have the correct one but sold it right away cuz i found the cobra intake. sorry man.
No big deal, just thought I'd ask, Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

I see that you changed out the stock intake with a Cobra yet went with the stock GT injectors. The Mark VIII engine that I am getting is a '98 and I believe that it has either 24 or 26 lb injectors. I see that you also state that the stock '98 intake will work. So I, as a start, I plan on keeping the complete '98 VIII stock intake setup including fuel rails and injectors. Do you see a problem with that?

Also, I see that you installed the engine with the trans bolted on through the top. Do you have a tubular K-member? I do not plan on changing mine from '96 GT stock.

Finally (for now), will the stock Mark VIII exhaust manifolds bolt to the existing '96 GT exhaust pipes?

Thanks a bunch,
Monty
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

I see that you changed out the stock intake with a Cobra yet went with the stock GT injectors. The Mark VIII engine that I am getting is a '98 and I believe that it has either 24 or 26 lb injectors. I see that you also state that the stock '98 intake will work. So I, as a start, I plan on keeping the complete '98 VIII stock intake setup including fuel rails and injectors. Do you see a problem with that? The only issue is that you will need to somehow make the mark viii fuel rail work with the current mustang fuel lines already there. Ive seen some people mess with it, but I do not have any experience with trying to make it work. Sorry! The stock mark injectors will work perfectly, i had to use my 19 lb/hr ones because the 24's were corroded into the mark manifold and some of them did not come out so nicely when swapping them over, i did eventually upgrade to the 24's tho. You will need to use a 99/01 cobra throttle cable if you plan on using the mark viii manifold for the time being.

Also, I see that you installed the engine with the trans bolted on through the top. Do you have a tubular K-member? I do not plan on changing mine from '96 GT stock. I am using the stock k-member. no reason to get a tubular k member for this swap. i pulled the trans and put it back in together just for the ease of everything. it is 100x easier to pull engine and trans at the same time, than trying to line everything up when putting it back in, basically the trans has to come out anyways to remove the motor.

Finally (for now), will the stock Mark VIII exhaust manifolds bolt to the existing '96 GT exhaust pipes? No they will NOT work, you need cobra manifolds. any cobra manifold from 96-04 will work. 03-04 would be ideal, but anything will work just fine.

Thanks a bunch,
Monty

Need anything else just let me know!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Boo-yah! I am getting excited. The salvage yard called today and the motor is out and ready to be picked up. Unfortunately, I will be stuck at work for the next few days. It is a '98 VIII with 64K miles. I am getting everything up to the firewall.

BTW, I have done many engine swaps through the years so I know how to turn a wrench but they were all for 60's-vintage cars. This is my first attempt at a modern computer-controlled car. Thanks to all of you who have paved the way before me. Pardon me in advance because I will have lots of questions. The swap will not be fast. I hope to have it complete by the end of the summer. Maybe I will start my own thread as a reference. If I do not post regularly in a thread will it go away?

Quick Reply: Well now i've gone and done it...