4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Well now i've gone and done it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
Maybe I will start my own thread as a reference. If I do not post regularly in a thread will it go away?
its a good idea to start your own thread and then have people answer ur qestions, but its not against the rules to ask people who have already done the swap Threads are here forever pretty much, they dont go away, one reason why forums and google are so popular. They keep ALL the information that you will ever need
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
Boo-yah! I am getting excited. The salvage yard called today and the motor is out and ready to be picked up. Unfortunately, I will be stuck at work for the next few days. It is a '98 VIII with 64K miles. I am getting everything up to the firewall.

BTW, I have done many engine swaps through the years so I know how to turn a wrench but they were all for 60's-vintage cars. This is my first attempt at a modern computer-controlled car. Thanks to all of you who have paved the way before me. Pardon me in advance because I will have lots of questions. The swap will not be fast. I hope to have it complete by the end of the summer. Maybe I will start my own thread as a reference. If I do not post regularly in a thread will it go away?
I used the setup the way you want to, I can answer any questions you have, as well as take as many pictures as you need. Just feel free to ask either through PM or you can look through and post in my swap tread as well. MY swap Thread
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=BlackMage;7864710]I see that you changed out the stock intake with a Cobra yet went with the stock GT injectors. The Mark VIII engine that I am getting is a '98 and I believe that it has either 24 or 26 lb injectors. I see that you also state that the stock '98 intake will work. So I, as a start, I plan on keeping the complete '98 VIII stock intake setup including fuel rails and injectors. Do you see a problem with that? The only issue is that you will need to somehow make the mark viii fuel rail work with the current mustang fuel lines already there. Ive seen some people mess with it, but I do not have any experience with trying to make it work. Sorry! The stock mark injectors will work perfectly, i had to use my 19 lb/hr ones because the 24's were corroded into the mark manifold and some of them did not come out so nicely when swapping them over, i did eventually upgrade to the 24's tho. You will need to use a 99/01 cobra throttle cable if you plan on using the mark viii manifold for the time being.

[QUOTE]

Just to correct some things here, the mark vii rails will work with 2 one foot pieces of fuel hose from autozone or the like, and you CAN use the mark viii throttle cable without a problem. I used both lol. Pics available upon request.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=1998Slow 'Stang;7865349][QUOTE=BlackMage;7864710]I see that you changed out the stock intake with a Cobra yet went with the stock GT injectors. The Mark VIII engine that I am getting is a '98 and I believe that it has either 24 or 26 lb injectors. I see that you also state that the stock '98 intake will work. So I, as a start, I plan on keeping the complete '98 VIII stock intake setup including fuel rails and injectors. Do you see a problem with that? The only issue is that you will need to somehow make the mark viii fuel rail work with the current mustang fuel lines already there. Ive seen some people mess with it, but I do not have any experience with trying to make it work. Sorry! The stock mark injectors will work perfectly, i had to use my 19 lb/hr ones because the 24's were corroded into the mark manifold and some of them did not come out so nicely when swapping them over, i did eventually upgrade to the 24's tho. You will need to use a 99/01 cobra throttle cable if you plan on using the mark viii manifold for the time being.

Just to correct some things here, the mark vii rails will work with 2 one foot pieces of fuel hose from autozone or the like, and you CAN use the mark viii throttle cable without a problem. I used both lol. Pics available upon request.
i knew they would work i just didnt know what ya needed to do haha. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I used the setup the way you want to, I can answer any questions you have, as well as take as many pictures as you need. Just feel free to ask either through PM or you can look through and post in my swap tread as well. MY swap Thread
Thank you, I already had your thread bookmarked. A lot of good info in these threads. Now if the snow will just melt....
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

well just a small update ive been working on. Tore the motor down over winter and have been replacing stuff here and there and putting in and degreeing the cobra cams. also tucking wires and relocating the coil packs to where the egr system was. put in an aluminum D/S, replacing the steering column, and replacing the broken STEEDA rear sway bar. heres just some pics of the progress of everything.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

small update on the car.

Got the valve covers and the front cover in place, as well as the p/s, a/c, crank pulley, tensioner, and new water pump.

working on getting the wiring all done as well, tucking as much as i can, as best i can. biggest bitch was just getting to the wires themselves

slowly but surely tho, the wires will get hidden, just gotta get a plan together as to where i can put them without getting to much heat, and routing it where it cant be seen. still have to make a bracket for the coils, and figure out a solid place where to relocate them to. More than likely they will be getting put where the EGR stuff was.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

well this is what i want the engine bay to look like with all the wires installed. this pic is WITHOUT the engine harness and spark plug wires

this is how she turned out. I still need to fab some brackets for the coils when i relocated them, and clean up how the spark plug wires are ran, but im happy with how it turned out.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Looks very nice and neat.Great job Will
Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeh4269
Looks very nice and neat.Great job Will
Thanks man!! on a side note, i still need a few things before its road worthy, but i was able to fire it up last night and it runs. that takes a load off my mind! haha

Quick Reply: Well now i've gone and done it...