4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Well now i've gone and done it...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i just did a little research and it seems like theyre almost identical to the mark cams, and i guess the 03/04's are pretty similar. good if id be boosted but im going n/a. ill have to pass but thanks for the offer.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Well i ordered up an intake off a 98 LSC with TB and intake tube. I currently had the 93 intake which looked like it would be a PIA to get to fit and work. Question for any of you guys, I bought a set of manifolds from a guy and he sent me his 98 cobra TB with it. Will that make any difference to use that over the Lincoln TB? Or will it even bolt up?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

the throttle body has been almost identical on all 4v engines. the 03/03 cobra was a bit different but they all mount the same way. might as well use the 98 cobra throttle body he sent you but you will gain nothing.
as for cams: the aviator, marauder, Mach1, terminator, and gt500 all have the same cams while the MkVIII cams may be SLIGHTLY different but i doubt it. the ideal cams are 96-98 cobra followed by 99/01 cams. i did a mkVIII swap a year ago so if you have any questions let me know
Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

well guys got the motor all pulled and most of the parts swapped over. hopefully this week ill try droppin er back in.
I had a couple guys helpin tear it down over the weekend, and one of them was under the car pulling the DS and started laughing histerically for almost 5 minutes straight... i couldnt figure out why he was laughing until he pushed the DS out from under the car. I completely forgot i did this almost 4 years ago haha.

other than a broke bolt on the exhaust everything came out perfectly.

it really is amazing how many parts swap right over from the NPI 2v to the 4v....
Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

amazing what a little bit of elbow grease will do.. and a wire wheel.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

couple more acquired items, trani and clutch installed, and I just ordered the intake manifold from SVTperformance forums.... and yea my clutch is a little worse for wear... lol

Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

yea, that clutch is looking a bit--should we say "well worn". Too bad your on such a tight budget, sucks you could get the new clutch while its all apart. Just gives you a reason to tear back in to it again later
Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dave19525
yea, that clutch is looking a bit--should we say "well worn". Too bad your on such a tight budget, sucks you could get the new clutch while its all apart. Just gives you a reason to tear back in to it again later
i had a poblem with the clutch when i first got installed it. I dont think the flywheel was turned down completely true. as you can see there are hot spots on really only the one half of it, so im guessing that side was a little high. So i got a crap ton of chatter from it for about 1000 miles. Now it drives smooth and grips well... but idk exactly what the issue was. my guess would be it only has about 6k miles on it :-/ the disc is perfect, still has a lot of material left on it.

and like you said, gives me something to do, the joys of having 2 cars
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

Did that cobra intake you bought come with imrcs because the ones from your mkviii intake aren't compatible with the cobra intake.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99
Did that cobra intake you bought come with imrcs because the ones from your mkviii intake aren't compatible with the cobra intake.
whats different between the IMRC plates?

Quick Reply: Well now i've gone and done it...