4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

..well..got the s197 seats, now I'll need to put them in but ?'s

Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default ..well..got the s197 seats, now I'll need to put them in but ?'s

The two seats that I got are both power, and heated supposedly (driver's at least). My car does not have a power passenger seat, nor does it have seat warmers (no button to 'activate' on center console, either).

A few questions I have:
  1. Would it be possible to get a power source on the passenger side so the S197 seat will have power? The power function moves the seat bottom front and back, that's it...but if not, no biggie. (haven't moved it much anyway)
  2. To get the seat heater to function on the driver's side, would I need something like a switch or a button to 'turn it on'? Again, if not no big deal but if I can have a heated seat with not much BS then why not?
  3. I'm leaning towards buying the seat adaptors available for them @ 230 bucks...but should I use the stock SN95 seat tracks or S197 seat tracks instead? Or make my own?
  4. Driver's side of the S197 seat has power lumbar. I'm assuming that should work when hooked up to the car's power, right?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
The two seats that I got are both power, and heated supposedly (driver's at least). My car does not have a power passenger seat, nor does it have seat warmers (no button to 'activate' on center console, either).

A few questions I have:
  1. Would it be possible to get a power source on the passenger side so the S197 seat will have power? The power function moves the seat bottom front and back, that's it...but if not, no biggie. (haven't moved it much anyway)
  2. To get the seat heater to function on the driver's side, would I need something like a switch or a button to 'turn it on'? Again, if not no big deal but if I can have a heated seat with not much BS then why not?
  3. I'm leaning towards buying the seat adaptors available for them @ 230 bucks...but should I use the stock SN95 seat tracks or S197 seat tracks instead? Or make my own?
  4. Driver's side of the S197 seat has power lumbar. I'm assuming that should work when hooked up to the car's power, right?

I think I can answer question 1

Couldnt you just tap into the wiring from the driver side and run it under the carpet to pass side.
You could also put it on it own fuse, just hide them under the seat some where.

On question 2 I think youre on the right track. Just fuse everything to protect wiring.

GL
Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Repzard
I think I can answer question 1

Couldnt you just tap into the wiring from the driver side and run it under the carpet to pass side.
You could also put it on it own fuse, just hide them under the seat some where.

On question 2 I think youre on the right track. Just fuse everything to protect wiring.

GL
That could work I suppose...I don't see why it wouldn't but if I end up doing that I figure I should wrap some insulation around the wire before it tanks under the carpet as a precaution (I know almost nothing about electrical stuff).

About the seat heater, maybe there is a wire that activates it which would need a toggle switch that I could pick up from somewhere and mount it on the seat or run it into the center console somewhere.

About the seat tracks, I see some people in other threads suggested using the SN95 seat tracks...but I think the spacing will be a little different with regards to bolting in the seat tracks back into the floor. I compared the passenger seats side by side and the tracks do not look identical but the S197 has power **** underneath it as well. I guess I will have to sort through the **** and look at the seat frames themselves and compare.....those 239 dollar adaptors are really lookin' convenient right now lol
Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Can't help much but....

You can pick up toggle switches from hardware store. Then if you want to put the switches on the center console, you could try next to the TC switch. Just watch out for the shifter.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

...yeah, if it ends up being that simple then I might just put the switch somewhere low on the center console so that it doesn't exactly stick out but it would be away from an accidental 'oops' from something brushing against it....IDK. Once this semester is finished I'd like to really tackle this ****.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Mebbe make a switch panel where the change collector is. You can get the change holder delete off of cj pony parts for $11, and you could modify it to hold a switch. As for all the power stuff, just take the power from the other seat like stated above. If you decide to setup the seat warmers, you should probably use a relay as the warmers will probably draw quite a few amps.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Dude...I'm so interested in seeing how this goes for you! I want to do this to my car SO bad. I read about a guy who did the same thing on here and loved it. He said he just used his original seat tracks with some bushings he found at a hardware store. Now I think he did it on a New Edge and I don't know if the seat tracks are different than the SN95.

Take tons of pictures bro and post them. I'd really appreciate working pictures as you're putting them in if you care to post them. I don't want you to inconvienence yourself with a camera though so no sweat if that's too much of a pain.

but like I said, I'm very interested in seeing how this goes for you. The new seats are SO much more comfortable than the crap they put in for us stock.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

looking at the wiring diagram, you only need a power and ground for each side. Doesnt seem too hard. Im not sure about the heated portion yet, but assuming you get them mounted correctly it should be a matterof a couple wires to run and your good
Old 06-18-2011, 11:32 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Couldnt make it any bigger at the moment but you get the point. one power feed in (looks like its split off into 2 for the driver seat) and one ground out.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

lets see the seats

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ..well..got the s197 seats, now I'll need to put them in but ?'s