4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Does the 4.6's Anti-Theft prevent our cars from being stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Default Does the 4.6's Anti-Theft prevent our cars from being stolen?

Yesterday a lady I work with had her car broken into and they tried to steal the car. For whatever reason they were unable to steal it.

This made me wonder. Does the immobilizer activated by the chip in our keys completely disable our Mustangs from being stolen? Since I read about the chip I have been more comfortable not always completely securing the car.

The way I understand it is that even if they were to pull whatever ignition wires you see guys messing with in movies out, and touch them together that the immobilizer will not allow the car to be started.

Am I wrong in assuming this? In the post I quoted below a guy said you'd have to almost completely remove the lower dash to disable the immobilizer.

I'm just curious about this and thinking maybe I need to ALWAYS lock my doors.

Here's a problem another mustang owner had:
Originally Posted by efeezy
Just had a quick question i dont understand how a mustang would get stolen if you need a key with a chip in it to start the ignition. My car was broken into last month but wasnt stolen. They just cut the cable beside the horse emblem which let them open the hood, cut the siren wire and took of the battery termanals then punched my door lock. when i was woken up the next morning by the police i came down to my car and they had busted off the plastic cover around were you key goes in but couldnt start it. So if you punched out the ignition would the car start or would you key and chip not alowe that to happen?

And here's the best response:

Originally Posted by ofourcobra
your car has a security device called an immobilizer,,which will recognize the resistance in the key ,,now i am a certified installer so i install remote starters and if you know the car well enough you could bypass the immobilizer,,but to start the car you would need the battery which you said they disconnected,,oh and to bypass the immobilizer they would have to take apart the whole bottom of the dash ,,and be able to find the wires quick,,,

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-27-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

if they really want your car.....there is nothing that you can do to keep them from getting it.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Im not sure what your question is, since it seems as if this guy answered it for you..

PATS simply will not let it start, the car will crank and crank.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Well I mean, can they punch the ignition...activate the ignition with wires under the steering wheel? Or start it anyhow? Or do they have to tow it? Does anti-theft completely disable the ignition without that chip?
Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You can steal Mustangs if you know what you are doing. The stock 'theft system' is a step better than locking your doors. (Spoken as someone who has had them stolen.)
Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Im not sure what your question is, since it seems as if this guy answered it for you..

PATS simply will not let it start, the car will crank and crank.
Well I think I'm asking...can our cars be stolen? Other than being pushed or towed away somehow.

Without the special $60 key can they be started?
Am I completely un-wise for ever leaving my car unlocked?

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-27-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

it can be done, you just have to really know what you're doing and really want the car. most go for LSx type GM's nowadays bc they're hella easy to steal and the parts are still worth some change in the resale market. just for example, compare a mod 4.6L SOHC to a 5.7L LS1. the mod motor is generally worth almost half of the LS1 motor, therefore not worth the risk of stealing. if someone steals your PATS enabled Mustang without towing it, they REALLY wanted that car and would have gotten to it one way or another.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Tommy079
Without the special $60 key can they be started?
Am I completely un-wise for ever leaving my car unlocked?
Yes, but the person has to know exactly what they are doing and I really dont think its worth the trouble. It takes time to bypass PATS.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I just re-read the post... why would you ever NOT lock your doors when you leave the car? Even if you thought it couldn't be stolen as a whole car, there is a LOT you can strip out in the matter of minutes.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Yes, but the person has to know exactly what they are doing and I really dont think its worth the trouble. It takes time to bypass PATS.
I mostly have the car locked when it's in my driveway, but I work on a military installation where access is highly controlled. So i usually leave it unlocked at work for convenience. I don't think i have much to worry about from what you're saying. It's a convertible and I often don't have anything at all inside because of the wind blowing in it all the time so I never have to worry about people getting in it to take something...let alone something of value.

I appreciate the input. It helps put some of my worry at ease.

Quick Reply: Does the 4.6's Anti-Theft prevent our cars from being stolen?