4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

ABS Module Refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM
urisbigb

Default ABS Module Refurbishment

Hey everyone

I'm new here, but the first topic that I needed help with when I became a member was that of what to do about my ABS light being on. After searching for a while, I found that it took quite a bit of digging in order to get to the root of my problem.

I recently bought a 2000 GT from my friend knowing the ABS light was on. I guess it all started one random day, the light would come one and go off intermitently. Then it became more frequent to the point where it stayed on almost all the time. She had just gotten it inspected and the place couldn't replicate the problem to diagnose it. A few weeks later, when it was being persistent, she was able to bring it to Ford and they put it on the special diagnostic tool for ABS systems. It came back with a code that said the ABS Electronic Traction Control Module (ETCM) needed to be replaced. They quoted her upwards of $1000 for the repair. So she said screw it, ABS and T/C are practically uneccessary anyway.

But seeing as how I would be bringing it to a different state, I knew once I registered it, that I would need to get it inspected. So I had to figure out a way to get the problem resolved. I looked up buying a brand new module from Rock Auto Parts which ran about $300+, still better than $1000. But I knew I could still do better. Then a friend of mine recommended me to BBA-remanufacturing out of Tauton MA. They take a variety of car components and rebuild them, and come to find out, the Mustang ABS Module is a commonly faulty part and one that they could fix.

Lucky for me I live in RI, so the drive up there was short and I didn't have to ship it, but I must say the experience I had with them was great. I followed a YouTube video on how to get the Control module itself off without having to disconnect the brake lines, enabling me to continue to drive my car as it was repaired. I finished the removal of the module in about 1.5 hours, brought it to BBA the next day, and they had the module fixed and ready to go in less than 48 hours. I picked it back up, installed it in about an hour (now that I knew exactly what I was doing) and the problem was fixed, just like that. All for a much more reasonable price of $125. Granted if you have to ship it out, it'll cost you a lil but more, but well worth the savings.

So just wanted to share that for any of you that run into the same problem as me, and hopefully this post will serve as a good guildine on what your options are should you encounter this problem.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
urisbigb

Just wanted include the link for BBA's website in case you guys wanted to check it out.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...ll_other_types