4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Change trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by BrettK
I just bought a Mustang today, and noticed that the shifter **** on it starting get hot by the time I got home.
If I took the car somewhere to change the fluid will they most likely put the factory amount in, thus being too full?
It has a short throw shifter and a billet **** if that matters.
How hot, could you keep you hand on it without painš?

It is normal for an STS with a metal shift **** to get pretty hot as the tranny will run at as much as 175° depending on load and speed. I have a big polished aluminum **** I very rarely use because of just that.

As for the amount of fluid, print out the TSB and bring it with you...

-----------------------------------------------
š - The human touch threshold of pain is 130°F to 140°F...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
BrettK

Originally Posted by cliffyk
How hot, could you keep you hand on it without painš?

It is normal for an STS with a metal shift **** to get pretty hot as the tranny will run at as much as 175° depending on load and speed. I have a big polished aluminum **** I very rarely use because of just that.

As for the amount of fluid, print out the TSB and bring it with you...

-----------------------------------------------
š - The human touch threshold of pain is 130°F to 140°F...
Was probably about as warm as the hood would be after driving 30 minutes I guess. Warm enough to notice a difference, but in no way "painful".
So given that it is normal for it to run hot with an STS, is it causing harm in any way?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by BrettK
Was probably about as warm as the hood would be after driving 30 minutes I guess. Warm enough to notice a difference, but in no way "painful".
So given that it is normal for it to run hot with an STS, is it causing harm in any way?
The transmission is not running "hot with an STS".

It continues to operate at its normal temperature, however the STS is conducting more of that heat to the shift lever and ****. One of the things short throw shifters for our cars do is eliminate all of the rubber isolation pads/bushings from the shifter, lever, and ****. (Read more about STSs here)

Replace the **** with one made of some less thermally conductive material and it will not get as warm...

Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 PM
BrettK

Thanks for the help. I'm just a little paranoid..
Guess I'll go ahead and get the white ball **** I want when I order my short antenna.

A little off topic, but don't really see it necessary to start another thread and found little info from searching.
But is a little chatter normal when starting out (before totally releasing clutch) in first? The clutch has barely 10K miles on it per the paperwork provided by PO. Everything feels fine to me, just a little noise.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Without hearing it it is hard to tell. See if you can track down a Mustang club in your area, I'm sure someone there will be able to help...

Like this?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
BrettK

Basically, thinking this one.. http://www.americanmuscle.com/white-shiftknob-7904.html
OH! And I'll save 31% buying them together, hot damn! haha
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

Perfectly normal for it to get warm. I've got a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter with the metal Bullitt **** and after an hour or so it starts getting pretty warm but not hot (it's hot to the touch in the hot Summer days but not nearly that bad from tranny heat alone). I'm paranoid, ****, obsessive, etc. about my car as well so let that put your mind at ease
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
BrettK

Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy
Perfectly normal for it to get warm. I've got a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter with the metal Bullitt **** and after an hour or so it starts getting pretty warm but not hot (it's hot to the touch in the hot Summer days but not nearly that bad from tranny heat alone). I'm paranoid, ****, obsessive, etc. about my car as well so let that put your mind at ease
Thanks
Any opinion on the slight chatter when starting out in first?
It's not even enough to hear normally, only time I heard it was when I was pulling into my driveway next to the van (so it echoed?)
I feel as if it would be normal depending on clutch/flywheel combo, based upon experience with my previous vehicle, but not sure if the same can be said for the Mustang.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Unsullied_Spy
1st Gear Member

By slight chatter do you mean it feels like the whole car is shaking almost as if you had a very badly warped flywheel? Mine does the same thing, not sure if it's normal or not but it can be kinda rough starting out in first...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy
By slight chatter do you mean it feels like the whole car is shaking almost as if you had a very badly warped flywheel? Mine does the same thing, not sure if it's normal or not but it can be kinda rough starting out in first...
There is absolutely nothing normal about that--how many miles on the clutch/flywheel?

Quick Reply: Change trans fluid