4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 PM
MustangMatt02

Default Cold Air Intake

I was wondering if anyone has the American Muscle CAI kit. And if so how is it? Is it easy to install, how is the HP gains and how is fuel economy? I was thinking of getting one just wanna see how it is before I go out and purchase it.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Not to deter business from American Muscle, as they are a great sponser on this site, but your car already has a cold air intake stock, so you probably won't see any gains in either fuel economy OR hp.

The install is very easy if you are having a malfunction with your stock intake, otherwise stick with the stocker and spend the money elsewhere.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 PM
MustangMatt02

Do all 02 mustang GTs have a stock cold air intake?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

all 2v 4.6s (96-04) have a stock cold air intake. I bought my CAI before I knew anything. You won't see any real gains in power or fuel economy. The money is best spent else where.

With that being said it does look sweet. People that don't know about cars think it's the ****. and it was easy to install, about an hour or so.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

CAI of new edge mustangs is a waste of money. Buy another product from them such as gears or springs. Welcome.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMatt02
Do all 02 mustang GTs have a stock cold air intake?
Yep, the new 5.0s do as well, they even say cold air on the airbox lol.

But yeah, most people don't know this, hence why they are such a popular seller/mod. I bet the sales would fall drastically if people know they were replacing one CAI with another... $200 for a shiny metal tube isn't very appealing when it doesn't do anything.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:29 AM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone sell just a shiney metal tube that would replace the ugly stock tube?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

The thing is your "ugly stock tube" Is that ugly material for a reason. Metal doesn't stay cold very well in a hot engine bay.

COLD air intake + HOT METAL tube.... The cold air is losing its effect in keeping IATs down.

JLT makes some plasticish intakes that look good but lets be honest an exterior visual mod is gonna go further than one in the engine bay.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Search button
Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 AM
urisbigb

Wow, you guys are brutal, haha

He asked a simple questions and gets flammed. Matt, to answer your question, I was "ignorant" enough to buy one from AM, and to be honest I want to return it, but apparently AM doesn't have very good customer service either, which is bothersome to me. But my biggest complaint was that since I have a 2000 GT, it still has a Temperature sensor for which the CAI has a grommet that is about 1/8" too small to accomodate it, so mine is barely in. With you having a 2002, you won't have that problem, so this kit would be pretty good for you, and to pay a fraction of the price of what other intakes are, I think it's still worth it for you.

But even if it DOESN'T give me any extra power or anything, I do like the way that it has enhanced the sound of the engine. Granted I still have a stock exhaust and prolly wouldn't hear it if I didn't, but I say, do what you want to do. It does clean up the look of the engine bay a little and improves the engine tone.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake