4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

word by mouth dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM
04NGTMARE
1st Gear Member

Default word by mouth dyno

I went to mustang week this year and didnt have time to get my Roush dynoed and since I know we have some smart guys/gals on these forums I decided to ask in here. Would have to drive 2 hours to get a dyno. Reputable one that is . What do you guys think my car would push? I have all thats in my signature. TB, Plenum and a CAI. Does not have a tune yet. And planned on getting 3.73 gears in the future. I do have a set of pulleys that I need to install that will boost it up alittle. Its a 04 Roush Stage 1. Pretty much a GT engine. Tell me what you think.

Sooo...

acufab tb, plenum, bbk cai= ??
same as above but plus 3.73 gears, tune and steeda ud pulleys= ??
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

24Xrwhp

then 25Xrwhp
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
04NGTMARE
1st Gear Member

also, what do I need to do to push around 300. w/o supercharging it. Exhaust, headers, etc? Or would all that even push that?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

displacement.

1 HP per cubic inch isn't difficult these days.

1.3 HP per cubic inch is tough. It takes compression, heavy breathing and most of all, VERY, VERY GOOD Fuela nd Ignition control.

Remember that there really is no such thing as HP, Its torque. We can measure torque, but HP is a theoretical calculation. You want HP? Build Torque. Create air velocity in your engine. If you increase flow capacity, you MUST turn higher rpm (or add displacement) to get the velocity back that supports torque. What have you done to promote flow AND permit high rpm operation? Added flow without added rpm is a torque killer.

superchargers, stroker kits, high rev cam kits with matching valvetrain (stock springs can only go so far)

Last edited by scottybaccus; 07-27-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
04NGTMARE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
displacement.

1 HP per cubic inch isn't difficult these days.

1.3 HP per cubic inch is tough. It takes compression, heavy breathing and most of all, VERY, VERY GOOD Fuela nd Ignition control.

Remember that there really is no such thing as HP, Its torque. We can measure torque, but HP is a theoretical calculation. You want HP? Build Torque. Create air velocity in your engine. If you increase flow capacity, you MUST turn higher rpm to get the velocity back that supports torque. What have you done to promote flow AND permit high rpm operation? Added flow without added rpm is a torque killer.
Ya know, I was thinking the exact same thing...
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

You'll need a full HCI setup with every bolt on to push 300 rwhp. In some rare cases 300 rwhp has been done with cams alone, but it's very rare, and dynos vary. You could also bump the compression via different pistons and whatnot.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

a bump in compression will not do much on a small cubic inch motor. Def not worth pulling the motor apart to do it.

Just supercharge it and call it a day lol.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 PM
04NGTMARE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
a bump in compression will not do much on a small cubic inch motor. Def not worth pulling the motor apart to do it.

Ya was thinking that. Dont I need to redo the suspension for that?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt

I totally agree, but i was just throwing out ideas.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Anytime you increase power you should upgrade suspension... but to be honest a good tire will go a long long way. You could have fun with a sticky tire and a supercharged car.

Quick Reply: word by mouth dyno