4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

plasti dip

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Anyone know if it will hurt the finish on the wheels? Don't see an answer to that anywhere but if not I'd like to give it a shot on mine
Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the link jojo.

Alec, supposedly it won't hurt the finish.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Went to Lowes this morning and picked some up. painted some test pieces the stuff seems pretty sweet.
I painted an extra door panel I had laying around to see how it looks so far it looks pretty good
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Went to Lowes this morning and picked some up. painted some test pieces the stuff seems pretty sweet.
I painted an extra door panel I had laying around to see how it looks so far it looks pretty good
Awesome! So it goes on nice and easy, with no uneven type look? I'll probably pick some up this week, and give it a shot.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

for me it went on pretty easy but I'm good with a rattle can
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

My buddy next door did it and it came out really good... It DOES spray out flat black so you can spray your wheels and put them on to see if you like the flat black before you gloss it..

I havent looked at my neighbors wheels up close but from my view to his driveway which is no more than 40 feet, they look great.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM
jojo2003
2nd Gear Member

I am trying the whole paint over the top of this stuff today. I sprayed the 3 coats on a old rim last night, let it sit all day, and I sprayed 3 coats of just rattle can paint on the top of it. As far as looks, it looks good, but my main goal is to see how it pulls off. I will let you know later what the conclusion is with paint over the top.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yeah definitely keep us posted jojo.

Hp, at bare minimum it should look a little better than the electrical tape idea ya think lol?? I tried that the other day, and got so damn frustrated. Parts of it kept peeling up, so i said screw it lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:58 AM
jojo2003
2nd Gear Member

Ok, the paint looked real good on there, and dryed pretty fast. I would assume that the plastic dip was acting like a primer sort of. When I went to peel it off, it was a little tougher, but not by alot. And it still all peeled off, in some spots the paint would flake off of the dip, but that was from me rubbing on it. When I went to scratch the paint with my nail, u couldn't even tell the scratch. I had to push my nail into the paint/dip and the scratch that way. So I think the dip gives the paint a little bit of a flex to it. My next project will be to try my mirrors out.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jojo2003
Ok, the paint looked real good on there, and dryed pretty fast. I would assume that the plastic dip was acting like a primer sort of. When I went to peel it off, it was a little tougher, but not by alot. And it still all peeled off, in some spots the paint would flake off of the dip, but that was from me rubbing on it. When I went to scratch the paint with my nail, u couldn't even tell the scratch. I had to push my nail into the paint/dip and the scratch that way. So I think the dip gives the paint a little bit of a flex to it. My next project will be to try my mirrors out.
So did the paint give it a glossy look that looked somewhat similar to gloss black after market wheel?

Last edited by mrtstang; 08-31-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: plasti dip