4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advantages/ Disadvantages of IRS..

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ Good question....

The SRA will pick up some weight for sure, as the UCA's are the only thing removed and certainly don't weigh nearly as much as a PHB or WL with TA.

The one big thing of which I don't know, in regards to the IRS, would be the RC. My guess is it would be the center of the pumpkin, as it is stationary. Interesting thread, to be sure

Jazzer
if someone weighed it that would rock. you wont pick up any weight upgrading the IRS except for the weight of the brace but the SRA would pick up quite a bit of weight.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The difference in weight is 75lbs, as measured by a guy in the link posted by stangalator. This is consistant with what I have heard over the years. BUT.... much of that weight is no longer sprung, so the springs/shocks don't have to work soo hard to control it. This is a big advantage and should not be under estimated.

I would agree that much of the weight gained with building an IRS would be the brace. I doubt that upgrading axles, going CO's and improved bushings would make much difference either way.

Jazzer
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

The difference in weight is 75lbs, as measured by a guy in the link posted by stangalator. This is consistant with what I have heard over the years. BUT.... much of that weight is no longer sprung, so the springs/shocks don't have to work soo hard to control it. This is a big advantage and should not be under estimated.

I would agree that much of the weight gained with building an IRS would be the brace. I doubt that upgrading axles, going CO's and improved bushings would make much difference either way.

Jazzer
is that weight difference with the dogbone removed from the SRA?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't know where the extra weight is concentrated, but the IRS has a set of twin-"A" arms (not sure of their specific names) and is probably most of it. The dogbone is probably only a couple pounds, never weighed one.

Jazzer
Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

another thing about the IRS is you can adjust camber and toe in if you wanted to
Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

This is a plus for a hardcore road/track dood/doodette

Griggs racing adds neg. camber to their SRA's, via some custom welding work on the ends of the axle. I had actually debated doing this myself, but have more rear grip that I could have ever imagined.

Jazzer
Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Griggs racing adds neg. camber to their SRA's, via some custom welding work on the ends of the axle.
Jazzer
How can you add camber to a SRA via welding the end of the axle housing? seems like the differential would have to be custom to aim the axles upward a little to get that to work right?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
How can you add camber to a SRA via welding the end of the axle housing? seems like the differential would have to be custom to aim the axles upward a little to get that to work right?
it can be done, just costs more than you could buy an IRS for.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by stangalator
They cut-off the ends of the axle tubes and move it upward like 3/4" or so. Just enough to avoid the axle itself from hitting the top/inside of the tubes. Weld up the openings on the top/bottom of the tubes and vwallah.... er, walla.... viola I can't spell voilą, dammit! You've now got like 1* of neg camber out back

Jązzer
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

They cut-off the ends of the axle tubes and move it upward like 3/4" or so. Just enough to avoid the axle itself from hitting the top/inside of the tubes. Weld up the openings on the top/bottom of the tubes and vwallah.... er, walla.... viola I can't spell voilą, dammit! You've now got like 1* of neg camber out back

Jązzer
wouldnt that make it weaker though?

Quick Reply: Advantages/ Disadvantages of IRS..