4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advantages/ Disadvantages of IRS..

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Here is a pic I found of an SRA just like soldier has right now next to an IRS. I don't know about you but one looks like a stick that you put two wheels on and one looks much more complex.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

there is a reason people prefer LSA front suspension, why wouldn't you want one in the rear?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You pepes can talk about ride quality and that is great (honestly!), but I will put my car with an SRA up against ANY IRS Mustang and will have no issues competing with it on an open-track environment. My ONLY downside at the moment is HP and have plans in the making currently.

Let's not get carried away here pepes
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
You pepes can talk about ride quality and that is great (honestly!), but I will put my car with an SRA up against ANY IRS Mustang and will have no issues competing with it on an open-track environment. My ONLY downside at the moment is HP and have plans in the making currently.

Details on the power adder please!!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

shhhhhh.... it may not happen, but will spill the beans if the big decision is made
Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Harryman2002
Here is a pic I found of an SRA just like soldier has right now next to an IRS. I don't know about you but one looks like a stick that you put two wheels on and one looks much more complex.
Coming from someone who hasn't even riden in one of each kind of well done rear, taking advice based on how something looks is kinda hard for me. If you judge by looks, I see 9 second Honda's everyday.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

Guess the Cat has spoken. And it better be a nice positive displacement blower to make the kitty purrrr.....
Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Probably gonna go after a saleen blower.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Coming from someone who hasn't even riden in one of each kind of well done rear, taking advice based on how something looks is kinda hard for me. If you judge by looks, I see 9 second Honda's everyday.

Guess the Cat has spoken. And it better be a nice positive displacement blower to make the kitty purrrr.....
Im not saying the IRS is a perfect design, but I am saying that it is a far better design than a SRA. Even if ford didn't make it perfect.
Originally Posted by Aereon
I have a decent suspension setup with an IRs and feel it handles just as well as my SRA with ta/phb setup and rides much better than when I had my SRA.
There is a quote from somebody who owned a car with a built IRS and SRA.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Aereon
Do a quick search of these forums, you'll see quite a few people running IRS's in their cars. A few are handling enthusiasts. I have a decent suspension setup with an IRs and feel it handles just as well as my SRA with ta/phb setup and rides much better than when I had my SRA.
Originally Posted by Harryman2002
There is a quote from somebody who owned a car with a built IRS and SRA.
While this may be true a certain percentage of the time, it is not true for all of it. For if it was, than John Griggs would not have swapped his own IRS for a SRA.

This is certainly no disrespect to either you or Aereon, just that there is no absolute winner in either of these departments.

Jazzer
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

my car will be getting IRS for the simple reason that a proper ROAD RACE IRS will be a lot lighter than the equivalent SRA combo

my car will be going up against C6 vettes, and a bunch of Ferrari's, BMW's, and S2000's at the open track days i go to, and i need my car to be as light as possible, since im only working with ~300rwhp

one day ill have the front setup as Jazzer and ill be uber happy!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advantages/ Disadvantages of IRS..