4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Question for the SCT pro's

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Default Question for the SCT pro's

To make a long story short
I upgraded my CAI "K&N full kit" , Plenum"Trickflow" and TB"70mm BBK" on my 99 Mustang GT.
Well when I first got my SCTx3 from AM with Bama tune for life I loaded the 93 Octane SCT can tune and I had options the apply what CAI type (stock -bbk-k&N so on..)I had and now I cant adjust that option in any of my tunes"even Bama customs".

Why is that?
Do I have to load stock tune back in then reload Strag-Custom tunes back in to get that option to add my new upgrades like the 70mm and CAI changes wich I know where there when I first used this tuner for first time.

Im f****** confused how theyre now not there anymore
Watch my guess is I have to send for another Bama tune to get my full gain out of my upgrades.Thats lame for spending 350 buck on this tuners.

No offense anyone or any Co., Im ranting

Last edited by Repzard; 09-10-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Well...I would say unless you really know how to use the tool...don't ness with settings.

Also, just email BAMA your new upgrades and they will email you a new tune. Pretty easy...
Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It really doesn't matter as I have never seen a handheld or entry level tuning system for the '96 to '04 GTs that actually changed anything in the tune--the good news is that this is because there is nothing that needs to be changed. The systems that do ask the question do it just to provide a warm and fuzzy feeling that they are actually "customizing" the tune based upon your "mods".

On our cars changing anything before the MAF, or even the MAF's relative position in the whole intake assembly, does not make any difference is how the MAF measures the airflow--even if it did (or possibly could) cause more air to be flowing.

The MAF¹ will still accurately meter the amount of air flowing through it (be it more or less) and tell the PCM how much that is--so there's nothing in the tune that needs to be changed...

-----------------------------------------------------
¹ - Remember it is a MAF, Mass Air Flow, meter. Within the extremes of air normally found at the earth's surface it measures the mass (weight) of the air entering the engine vs, time, usually calibrated in g/s. It doesn't matter at what velocity or temperature the air is moving, its mass flow will be determined and reported to the PCM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Thank You Moonshine and Cliffy for the info.
I will order another tune from Bama tuning and Cliffy you made a great point on the MAF.

I figured the TB\ Plenum would help more than the CAI would be after the MAF.
I do notice alittle more throttle response but I want to make sure theres no lean condictions at WOT.

Thanks again for help guys
Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I learned a long time ago to "never say never", so I will say it would be extremely rare to have a mail-order tune be lean at WOT or any other load/rpm. No tuner wants to have that phone call, or the forum postings that would follow.

Also as I said above, on our cars there are no tuning changes needed for any intake mod, before or after the MAF, as all the air (barring a leak after the MAF) will pass through the MAF and be properly measured unless the MAF pegs.

And the stock 80 mm MAF will not peg until after 3000 lb/h air flow, that's 500+ fwHP running n/a...