4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Headers for turbo?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I looked into CG fabrication...they make a great hotside for our cars...but you have to delete the A/C...so thats a no go.

Im gonna trade soldier for his shorties...so i think im set. If they don't work ill buy something but imma try the free thing first
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Hey guys. I know I haven't posted in a while but whats up. Your stock manifolds are not a restriction under 1000 RWHP. Seriously. They are that good. There is no reason for replacement. I never have liked ON3. Just me.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by teej281
Hopefully these guys that don't have turbo's on their cars are offering correct advice!
You don't need a turbo kit to understand manifolds are not a restriction at lower power levels.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well how would you know that unless you've done it yourself? If we're using researched knowledge, than I can input some info here.

From talking to the shop I was dead set at having build my turbo kit, I know that the stock manifolds arent that restrictive. But the fact that they face backwards and you have to route tubing from around the rear of the engine and up to the front where the turbo resides is what makes the stock manifolds less than ideal. A forward facing designed header, or at least one that drops the exhaust right from the manifold that it doesnt have to take a 180* turn to go forwards.

Added tubing plus all the bends make the setup less efficient, its not necessarily the exhaust manifold/header itself. The ideal placement for the turbo is around 14" away from where the exhaust gases from each of the cylinders in each bank meet. This is what the shop told me when they were schooling me on what they would do for my setup. I was essentially getting a similar setup to an 03 Cobra that was in their shop, and that setup with 16psi on a stock 03 Cobra motor with the 99/01 manifold yielded 747rwhp and 784rwtq on pump with a precision billet ball bearing 76mm. I would have been going with a much smaller turbo, like a 62mm or a 67mm, but the setup would be the same. That setup is crazy, and its efficient because it routes the exhaust gases forward instead of rear facing. Just saying.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I understand that lol it is common sense...but i just wish On3 would separate their parts...or i could find a set that were foward facing and i could run the A/C and such..
Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

TJ is spot on with the tech. Forward facing is the way to go in this type of set up.
I was thinking On3Performance sold just the FF headers they made if you wanted to build your own off of them.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
specizripn
1st Gear Member

I have always been a fan of the extra horsepower you get out of long tube headers, but depending on how your turbo is set up, they may or may not be more beneficial than shorties...
Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

No I don't think On3 just sells the FF headers separately. I know they will be selling an upgrade kit to members that already have the regular kit but thats it...ill email them and ask them though just to make sure.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by teej281
From talking to the shop I was dead set at having build my turbo kit, I know that the stock manifolds arent that restrictive. But the fact that they face backwards and you have to route tubing from around the rear of the engine and up to the front where the turbo resides is what makes the stock manifolds less than ideal. A forward facing designed header, or at least one that drops the exhaust right from the manifold that it doesnt have to take a 180* turn to go forwards.

Added tubing plus all the bends make the setup less efficient, its not necessarily the exhaust manifold/header itself. The ideal placement for the turbo is around 14" away from where the exhaust gases from each of the cylinders in each bank meet. This is what the shop told me when they were schooling me on what they would do for my setup. I was essentially getting a similar setup to an 03 Cobra that was in their shop, and that setup with 16psi on a stock 03 Cobra motor with the 99/01 manifold yielded 747rwhp and 784rwtq on pump with a precision billet ball bearing 76mm. I would have been going with a much smaller turbo, like a 62mm or a 67mm, but the setup would be the same. That setup is crazy, and its efficient because it routes the exhaust gases forward instead of rear facing. Just saying.
The question asked by the OP was whether or not shorties would be better than stock manifolds, assuming he was going with a rear facing setup. Not forward facing vs rear facing or which setup was more efficient.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Also i read something on AM that someone had issues w/ the BBK shorties at high hp? Something about the design...and them talkin to BBK directly? Anyone else heard of this issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers for turbo?