4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just got back from the dyno... (videos!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I was seeing 13psi on my stock shortblock for 3 years...no problems here...
Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

yea, its really all in the tune.

Make sure the fuel is there and the timing is conservative.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Its not a myth that these motors are on the edge in this PSI range.....alllll i'm sayin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mHKvLsI4w
Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Its not a myth that these motors are on the edge in this PSI range.....alllll i'm sayin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mHKvLsI4w
and if they are on the edge why are you running 10psi?

that can happen to any car with a bad tune. I am building my engine before i turbo it though. also building the trans and getting a good torque converter before the turbo.

OP, car sounds good.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

thanks guys, im not terribly worried right now since its getting colder here in jersey, but ill be ordering all the stuff for the intercooler over the winter and hopefully my tax return will help with the labor and everything
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo232
and if they are on the edge why are you running 10psi?

that can happen to any car with a bad tune. I am building my engine before i turbo it though. also building the trans and getting a good torque converter before the turbo.

OP, car sounds good.
I trust my engine and tuner....With that being said I have a feeling that if i posted carnage pics from my motor blowing tomorrow nobody here would be surprised, I certainly wouldn't. Nobody would be going OMG OMG OMG OMG your 2v blew under 10 PSI NO WAIIIII. And we all know why, its limited in these power/boost ranges. Not trying to start a fuss, but this isn't a myth. They're powdered metal rods under ~500TQ of stress @ the crank

OP Get your I/C, turn up the boost and have fun! And I hear ya on all the added cost. Everybody tells me DUUUUDE just forge the motor its only $1500 for a rotating assembly. Except that I'll also need to buy a new pulley, serpentine belt, upgrade my fuel pump, fuel injectors, MAF and pay for dis-assembly+installation+tune labor. $$$$
Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
I trust my engine and tuner....With that being said I have a feeling that if i posted carnage pics from my motor blowing tomorrow nobody here would be surprised, I certainly wouldn't. Nobody would be going OMG OMG OMG OMG your 2v blew under 10 PSI NO WAIIIII. And we all know why, its limited in these power/boost ranges. Not trying to start a fuss, but this isn't a myth. They're powdered metal rods under ~500TQ of stress @ the crank

OP Get your I/C, turn up the boost and have fun! And I hear ya on all the added cost. Everybody tells me DUUUUDE just forge the motor its only $1500 for a rotating assembly. Except that I'll also need to buy a new pulley, serpentine belt, upgrade my fuel pump, fuel injectors, MAF and pay for dis-assembly+installation+tune labor. $$$$
well, powdered metal rods in my V6 held up at 14 PSI and 473 rwhp and 400 ft-lbs of torque. not sure what your overall numbers are but that is more boost. i ran 6 psi on the street though.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

+1 To turbo232...

that video of 1 car blowing up is pointless, wheres the boost, a/f ratio and timing on that car when it blew up?

Again, with a good tune, your motor should handle 10 psi for a long time.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

yeah, one car blowing up doesnt really say much. tuner might not know what hes doing, might not have enough fuel...etc

It shows something when you have 3-4 guys alone just in this thread and we are saying we have personally ran that boost with no problems...
Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97stanger
yeah, one car blowing up doesnt really say much. tuner might not know what hes doing, might not have enough fuel...etc

It shows something when you have 3-4 guys alone just in this thread and we are saying we have personally ran that boost with no problems...
i am pretty sure i could blow up an engine on a dyno without boost by throwing a bad tune at it.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the dyno... (videos!)