4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

whats all needed for gear install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

The carbon clutches are a very nice upgrade.. They definitely help prevent any 1 wheel peel and makes the diff alot tighter.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
For once I'm have a shop do the install (while doing gears) so I don't have to worry about the fit. So you'd suggest the carbon disc kit (http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit.html) over the "heavy duty" LSD (http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...8spline.html)?
The FRPP 28 spline diff is the exact unit your car is equipped with from the factory, no difference at all. Same spider gears & same paper friction discs.

The carbon discs are a mild upgrade over the paper for the following reasons:
quieter (this is the main reason Ford swapped to them)
increased temperature resistance
slightly increased holding capability
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LRSjmac
No problem! I'm here to help.

PM sent on the axles.
What the HP difference the axles can handle between the 28 and 31 spline?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

The FRPP 28 spline diff is the exact unit your car is equipped with from the factory, no difference at all. Same spider gears & same paper friction discs.
Gotcha. How often do those spider gears wear down? May main fear is tearing the whole thing down, having the carbon discs ready to go, and then realize the spider gears are shot...

The carbon discs are a mild upgrade over the paper
That's got to be some amazing paper...
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

What the HP difference the axles can handle between the 28 and 31 spline?
That, my friend, is a loaded question! So many variables come in to play when looking at holding capability, like intended usage, tires, vehicle weight, gear ratio, suspension, etc.

No axle manufacturer will put a power rating on their 28 spline axles. However, hardened alloy axles are on average 30% stronger than OE axles. You can do the math there. On a full on drag car, 31 spline axles are rated to 650.

Now, if you remove sticky tires from the equation, power handling capability goes up. Increase weight, power handling capability goes down.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

That, my friend, is a loaded question! So many variables come in to play when looking at holding capability, like intended usage, tires, vehicle weight, gear ratio, suspension, etc.

No axle manufacturer will put a power rating on their 28 spline axles. However, hardened alloy axles are on average 30% stronger than OE axles. You can do the math there. On a full on drag car, 31 spline axles are rated to 650.

Now, if you remove sticky tires from the equation, power handling capability goes up. Increase weight, power handling capability goes down.
How about an easier question, 3.73 vs 4.10 gears? Lol, j/k.

The "stickiest" tire I'd run is a high performance summer tire, and with a HP goal of ~350rwhp sounds like the 28 spline axle should be plenty.

That being said, would there even be an increased cost if I went with the 31 spline? I can see buying a new LSD w/ carbon packs for $250, but I'm not aware of any of the other changes needed to switch from a 28 to a 31 (this assumes I'm buying a new axle, either 28 or 31 spline). Am I missing anything? Any draw backs, such as more rotational weight?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:04 AM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

How about an easier question, 3.73 vs 4.10 gears? Lol, j/k.

The "stickiest" tire I'd run is a high performance summer tire, and with a HP goal of ~350rwhp sounds like the 28 spline axle should be plenty.

That being said, would there even be an increased cost if I went with the 31 spline? I can see buying a new LSD w/ carbon packs for $250, but I'm not aware of any of the other changes needed to switch from a 28 to a 31 (this assumes I'm buying a new axle, either 28 or 31 spline). Am I missing anything? Any draw backs, such as more rotational weight?
LOL! You're a funny guy.

I venture to say that 28 would get the job done for you. However, there is no price difference between 28 & 31 spline, so if you thought you wanted a diff anyway, no reason not to go 31.

There will be a negligible amount of added rotational weight going to 31, but not noticeable. Wouldn't even count it in my consideration.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

LOL! You're a funny guy.

I venture to say that 28 would get the job done for you. However, there is no price difference between 28 & 31 spline, so if you thought you wanted a diff anyway, no reason not to go 31.

There will be a negligible amount of added rotational weight going to 31, but not noticeable. Wouldn't even count it in my consideration.
Considering it's going to save some time on labor (vs the Lok rebuild kit) but slightly more expensive to buy, it's going to be close to a wash on price. No other parts/pieces needed for the 31 spline conversion?

Last edited by Syracuse315; 11-17-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

Considering it's going to save some time on labor (vs the Lok rebuild kit) but slightly more expensive to buy, it's going to be close to a wash on price. No other parts/pieces needed for the 31 spline conversion?
Nope! You re-use your c-clips, abs rings, & your lug studs. Unless you want hardened lug studs. The 31 spline carrier comes with the needed cross pin & a new cross pin bolt.

I do recommend replacing axle bearings & seals any time you put in new axles.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Nope! You re-use your c-clips, abs rings, & your lug studs. Unless you want hardened lug studs. The 31 spline carrier comes with the needed cross pin & a new cross pin bolt.

I do recommend replacing axle bearings & seals any time you put in new axles.
This looks promising, pretty much everything I wanted:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Lug-373-Gears

I can't tell if those are the Moser axles though...

Quick Reply: whats all needed for gear install?