4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New year, new motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Default New year, new motor

so im sure most of you followed my PI swap thread and are wondering why im doing this...

well, ill tell you the story first then ill post pictures

the last 2 years of my life have been an absolute roller coaster of epic proportions... i got my girlfriend pregnant, got married at 22, had my son. come to find out my son is VERY disabled so now my life revolves around working to support him and his mom so she can take care of him (which im fine with). long story short, as is always the case, in her eyes wasnt making enough money, wasnt around enough blah blah blah blah... ill leave out the personal stuff but ive pretty much been replaced and now very rarely get to see my son (used to live in MA, the law there is VERY female-friendly) and just trying to get by for now...

now to the stuff thats relevant to you guys (although i appreciate you listening), part of the sacrifices i had to make was selling my 95 GT, which was a VERY nice car... i couldnt stand it (not having a Mustang) so i started looking and found the 96 on ebay and picked it up. decided to do the PI swap. while i was in the middle of it is when my divorce and everything started so (OBVIOUSLY) my head wasnt in the game which lead to...

installing the cams incorrectly

as in they decided to make buddies out of the pistons and valves...

i knew something wasnt right when i first fired it up and such but i was hoping it was more of a tuning issue, alas it wasnt meant to be

so now im doing my own version of a Recession Buster build from MHS with a few differences.

letting you know right now the progress is gonna be slow but ill try to keep everyone updated and hopefully before May its up and running!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

ok so heres some pictures for you guys:

little present i left when leaving the ex-wifes house

it looked good, drove it a few times but it was SO off this needed to happen...

and so it sat...

my friends B20 hatch, pretty quick car

the teardown: this is at my job, we have a lift in the back room

aahhhhhhh full exhaust = love

ready to come out...

THE BOTTOM!!!

this is 1000X better than out the top BTW...

check out my sweet belt routing

NEVER buy eibach springs...

putting coil overs in my bosses sons Focus and yes, we considered the swap...

still getting torn down

$5 later at the junkyard

combined with my skills at my job (machine shop) = modified intake valves FTW!!!

last but not least Domo approves lol
Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about ur ex and ur kid man hope that works out its ashame it had to happen like that.
but best of luck with u car seems like its gonna be a nice build, what's the info on the stuff going on the car? Like CR, what cams and head work and stuff like that
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

its in my sig now
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

those rims are gone btw, my boss bought them time for the ones i actually want now!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

damn bro, best of luck to you. At least working on your car is a way out of that misery. I can't wait till this build is over!!! Subscribing for more pics.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Dude, I have an absolute enormous amount of respect for you. Huge props for manning up and still chasing the dream.
Best of luck with your motor build bro!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Damn man sorry to hear that. Looks like it is going to be a sick build, good luck!

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
$5 later at the junkyard

[/IMG]

Come on, the steelers? Seriously??? lol
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

modifying the intake valves give it more clearance for cams right?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

purp - pm me sometime we should meet up, theres only like 6 ct 'stangers here lol

speedkills - ill stand by them until the end man, raised near Pittsburgh at my granparents all summer long for 14 years man!!!

hell i even root for the Pirates still (are they even around anymore? ROFL)

for those who are curious, ill be running COMP 270's either installed straight up or maybe even +2*, the intake will make up for the shift towards midrange.

im using 5.0 Coyote rods and -3cc Cobra pistons notched for 2V heads, the CR should be in the 11.6 range. crank will be balanced at the shop right down the road, they do GREAT work, maybe knife-edged, i want this thing to spin to 6800-7000

also installing a 100 shot JUST for the street and occasional trip to LVD, otherwise this car will be used for open track days at Lime Rock, the Glenn, VIR, NHI, BeaveRun, and if i can ever get there one day ill blast around Road Atlanta...

id also love to try something like the Silver State Classic Challenge or the standing mile at Maxton or Loring

Quick Reply: New year, new motor