4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Best clearance mid pipe for lowered stang?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 AM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Default Best clearance mid pipe for lowered stang?

After doing many searches I'm tying to find the best catted mid pipe that has the BEST clearance that will sound good with my SLP LM1 catback.
Suspension is signature.

MRT h?
Magnaflow x or h?
MAC Prochamber? (EDIT: somewhat of a muffled/chambered sound to go with LM1s)

I don't want an O/R pipe with the LM1s, would be TOO LOUD.

Anybody care to chime in?

Last edited by 01GTDropTop; 11-26-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

If you are only looking at catted mid pipes for back pressure, throw that idea out the window.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 AM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
If you are only looking at catted mid pipes for back pressure, throw that idea out the window.

I editted my op, I didn't want to run a full O/R "straight pipe" exhaust. Wouldn't be able to stand it driving around. Especially on post.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01GTDropTop
I editted my op, I didn't want to run a full O/R "straight pipe" exhaust. Wouldn't be able to stand it driving around. Especially on post.
With LM1s that is probably a good call.

I think when it comes to clearance it is all about how you fit it. Most people tend to put the midpipe on loosely, put a jack under it and jack it up to where they want it, and tighten it up.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

I personally would take it to a muffler shop and have them install it. It took me an entire weekend to do mine(Pypes POS), and it had a huge leak on the drivers side manifold. Come to find out, you need to take the manifold studs out and grind them down in order for the mid pipe to properly fit up in there.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Well I can speak from experience you don't want a catted MRT H pipe if you got a drop of 1.5" or more. I have MRT Catted H and the clearance is awful and have a dented cat because of this.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Well I can speak from experience you don't want a catted MRT H pipe if you got a drop of 1.5" or more. I have MRT Catted H and the clearance is awful and have a dented cat because of this.
Yeah, this is my concern. I'm dropped on sport line springs and tokico blue shocks and don't want my mid pipe scrapping everything. That's why I was inquiring on which mid pipes had the best clearance. I have done many searches on this and other forums and keep hearing different stories with each brand.

My guess is to buy the Bassani catted x pipe that requires clamp assembly and have an exhaust shop weld it up nice and snug?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

You'll hear different versions of what hangs lower, people have different experience. As far as H or X...The airflow after the crossover in an H increases as more of the exhaust flow bypasses the crossover, resulting in somewhat of a shotgun effect in resonators such as LM1s and SSS terminators as rpm increases, this is my personal experience. I'd go with a catted X for a more even tone. You'll still be very loud with any hi-flo catted midpipe.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01GTDropTop
Yeah, this is my concern. I'm dropped on sport line springs and tokico blue shocks and don't want my mid pipe scrapping everything. That's why I was inquiring on which mid pipes had the best clearance. I have done many searches on this and other forums and keep hearing different stories with each brand.

My guess is to buy the Bassani catted x pipe that requires clamp assembly and have an exhaust shop weld it up nice and snug?
FWIW, my Bassani Catted X is a little higher off the ground than a coke can. I also have LM1s out back, and am using the stock manifolds. I still scrape over speed bumps, tables, etc...if I don't take them diagonally. However, I really don't care about scraped up cats all that much. I will worry when I scrape a hole through 'em
Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

VRS seems to make a good product too, check out one of their catted X's

Quick Reply: Best clearance mid pipe for lowered stang?