4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What trans fluid yall running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Crispy, did you find a good set of instructions for this fluid change?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
Crispy, did you find a good set of instructions for this fluid change?
nope lol, figure i will drain the fluid, ( not sure if i should open it up yet and clean the pan out ) un bolt the fill bolt, bolt the drain plug back up, take off the shifter, fill till leaks out the fill hole and wing it afterwards new seals and gaskets on new shifter and hope for the best!

ps.. havent even been under the car to look for these bolts yet
Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crispy2000Gt
nope lol, figure i will drain the fluid, ( not sure if i should open it up yet and clean the pan out ) un bolt the fill bolt, bolt the drain plug back up, take off the shifter, fill till leaks out the fill hole and wing it afterwards new seals and gaskets on new shifter and hope for the best!

ps.. havent even been under the car to look for these bolts yet
It's very easy to do. Do a search, there is a good write up on here I think somewhere. PS there is no trans pan, that's the autos
Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Talking

well thats a fun fact lol
learn something new every day, guess i should do that search now hahaha
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Jack the car up, take out the drain plug, let drain, put drain plug back in, lower vehicle put 3.2 quarts (I believe) in through shifter area, install shifter.

Not difficult
Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Jack the car up, take out the drain plug, let drain, put drain plug back in, lower vehicle put 3.2 quarts (I believe) in through shifter area, install shifter.

Not difficult
D'oh! Wish I did that when I installed my short shifter...seeing as my car has 93k I think it'll be well worth it though.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

>>>note my comments here are in reference to the 3650 tranny and may not apply to the t-45<<<

I use Mobil 1 ATF (yes, ATF). Also, double check the fill amount, on the 3650 it is actually below the bottom of the fill hole so you really can't use that as a point of reference.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Ok here's my mini writeup. Make sure the car is on a level surface and jack it up, if anything tilted a little to the passenger side so the fluid can drain better. USE JACK STANDS!!! NEVER trust a jack.

1) Since you're taking your shifter out and won't be using the fill plug on the trans, pull the shifter out, clean off any rtv or anything that's on it. After you do that, clean it best you can and then drain the trans fluid in case you got anything in the trans, maybe the rtv or whatever will come out if you did.

2) At the right rear of the trans there are 2 plugs that fit a 3/8 inch drive ratchet in them. The bottom one, is the drain plug... duh and a few inches above it is the fill plug. Pull the top one first to vent, then get a pan and pull the bottom one. Let it drain.

3) Put the BOTTOM plug back in. Now pour in about 3 quarts of fluid through the shifter opening inside the car, another duh, but it should be said, don't make a mess. Cover your interior just in case you spill. Then go stick your finger in the top hole and guess about how much more fluid you need and fill until fluid starts to come out the fill plug. Let it drain until fluid stops coming out and put the plug back in and reassemble everything.

4) Take it for a test drive and check for leaks. Then proceed to wonder why you didn't do a fluid change sooner with your now smoother shifting trans.

Note: Some metal shavings are normal wear, so don't freak out. Oh and clean the drain plugs off, I think one of them is a magnet. If not put a magnet on the bottom one when you're done. I did it on mine to help catch some extra metal.

****Step 3 should be done on a level surface or it will throw off the fill level****

Last edited by 69MustangCoupe393cid; 12-02-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 AM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crispy2000Gt
Which one did you like better
Red Line > Royal Purple
Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Ok here's my mini writeup. Make sure the car is on a level surface and jack it up, if anything tilted a little to the passenger side so the fluid can drain better. USE JACK STANDS!!! NEVER trust a jack.

1) Since you're taking your shifter out and won't be using the fill plug on the trans, pull the shifter out, clean off any rtv or anything that's on it. After you do that, clean it best you can and then drain the trans fluid in case you got anything in the trans, maybe the rtv or whatever will come out if you did.

2) At the right rear of the trans there are 2 plugs that fit a 3/8 inch drive ratchet in them. The bottom one, is the drain plug... duh and a few inches above it is the fill plug. Pull the top one first to vent, then get a pan and pull the bottom one. Let it drain.

3) Put the BOTTOM plug back in. Now pour in about 3 quarts of fluid through the shifter opening inside the car, another duh, but it should be said, don't make a mess. Cover your interior just in case you spill. Then go stick your finger in the top hole and guess about how much more fluid you need and fill until fluid starts to come out the fill plug. Let it drain until fluid stops coming out and put the plug back in and reassemble everything.

4) Take it for a test drive and check for leaks. Then proceed to wonder why you didn't do a fluid change sooner with your now smoother shifting trans.

Note: Some metal shavings are normal wear, so don't freak out. Oh and clean the drain plugs off, I think one of them is a magnet. If not put a magnet on the bottom one when you're done. I did it on mine to help catch some extra metal.

****Step 3 should be done on a level surface or it will throw off the fill level****
very nice, i will soon let yall know how this goes in a new thread

Quick Reply: What trans fluid yall running?