4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Finally picked up a New Edge

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
Am I seeing this right? No innercooler and silicon connectors? Please tell me This is just temp.
Once complete, it will have a fully tig welded cold side, and yes, their will be NO innercooler. Im of the belief that an IC is not needed.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Not with a turbo, a cooler is always needed unless your only running 6lbs.

Are you going to use Vbands on the turbo and TB?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Not with a turbo, a cooler is always needed unless your only running 6lbs.

Are you going to use Vbands on the turbo and TB?
Ive not decided on the turbo and TB clamp, i was considering a wiggins/pegasus clamps, if not one of those, then a vband (with rubber O'ring) for sure.

On the IC, I, along with a few other E85 users, feel very strongly that we dont them. lol

I know this is cause for great debate, and lots of differing opinions. If i melt a piston, then so be it lol

(i hate typing because it looks like im being a smart ***, i promise im not )
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

My buddy was running a 88mm on 15lbs with a FMIC and E85 and is IAT was 170*. He is now running an air to water cooler and got his temps down to 100* with the same boost. E85 doesn't cool as well as running alky. Alky is the only time you can get away without a cooler.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

My buddy was running a 88mm on 15lbs with a FMIC and E85 and is IAT was 170*. He is now running an air to water cooler and got his temps down to 100* with the same boost. E85 doesn't cool as well as running alky. Alky is the only time you can get away without a cooler.
I agree with IATs. Yes, however, until we put a sensor at the intake valve, no one actually knows what the Entering air temp at the valve is.

I believe it to be fine, and far more safe then trying to do this with gasoline.

Im going to give it a while and save the 50lb weight penalty for using an IC. If it becomes and issue, ill add a 9th and or 10th injector and control them with the holley, these two would be in the intake track.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Just put a methanol injection system in it to keep the temps down, and have the ability to increase timing. Just sayin'
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Meth injection is illegal in just about every class of racing.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAX04
I agree with IATs. Yes, however, until we put a sensor at the intake valve, no one actually knows what the Entering air temp at the valve is.

I believe it to be fine, and far more safe then trying to do this with gasoline.

Im going to give it a while and save the 50lb weight penalty for using an IC. If it becomes and issue, ill add a 9th and or 10th injector and control them with the holley, these two would be in the intake track.
That would help and would be legal as long as the injectors are controlled by the same computer that drives the primary injectors. I forget the rules on placement but im thinking they have to be post TB.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Meth injection is illegal in just about every class of racing.
I dont think its illegal here, but im positive its considered a form of "chemical innercooling" , which will nab you a 50lb weight penalty, unless you can prove its part of the primary fueling of the vehicle.

Im not 100% on this

Im going to ask the local series guys what their ruling would be on injector placement, i can certainly control them with the holley Hp that runs the engine now.

Now, i can control 2 sets of injectors with this setup, and im tossing around getting a holley hi ram setup, which we could then place the second set of injectors higher up in the runners
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

We are getting so close i can taste it! Waiting on 3 120# injectors from holley before we can fire it back up.

Got the manual brake conversion going on, cold side is temporarily done, i will be having a full single piece made with 3 vbands w/orings. This coupled setup will have to do this weekend until my tig guy gets back.

Couple quick pics, nothing special, but we are getting real close, the tune is changed to accomoadte the injectors, the 3 bar map sensor, and i made a custom fueling map for everything now.

ride height-

old ford racing 80#ers from the GTO build next to the new 120

Quick Reply: Finally picked up a New Edge