4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

98 gt motor in a 96 gt body

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:37 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jerry96gt
I found a set of pi heads and intake I could put on my 96 motor. Or I can do a swap to a 98 gt motor. The 98 is a free motor guy bought the car for the body and has a built motor he's putting in the car. So the question is will a 98 motor go in to a 96 gt body and what all had to be changed. I know the fuel lines are different will I just have to run new lines ? Or is there a way around that ? If I got the pi heads and intake for 300 is that a good deal ? Would that fix the burnt valve or would I still have to look at other problems too ? The shop said $2000 because that's the price to rebuild both heads and all the laber and all I know most of the is labor. So what do you think take the chance with the pi heads and intake or swap the motor ?
Ok, the 98 motor is a 100% plug and play motor. Unless he did something to the fuel rail, then even the fuel lines are plug and play. Nothing needs to be swapped, just drop the engine in and hook everything back up. Again, unless he has modified the motor, it's the EXACT same. I went back and looked at pics of my 98 to make sure the fuel line are the same and they are identical to my old 96.

Now, yes provided the new heads have good valves, that will fix your burnt valve problem. Personally, I would go with the PI heads and intake, that way you are getting more power.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Jerry96gt

Ok now yet another update. I called a shop to see how much it would be to do the swap and they have me a price of 1600 to 2300. 1600 is for me to bring my car no motor or tranny and just the other motor and trany. The 2300 is if I bring both cars and they pull both motors and do the swap. From what I found mid year 98 they changed the fuel system on the gt. I also seen someone say there was a few other odd and ends in different places. I guess I will be doing it myself I dont have that kind of money to do the work. With the PI heads I want to do that I could get away with it for like 500 doing it myself. But I dont want to mess up and get some bad heads then I am another 500 in the hole and still no car. I know the 98 motor there is nothing wrong with it. The only mods on it is a older procharger supercharger from what I been told didnt really help with the power of the car. But I also was told tonight from the guy I got the car from the guy before him had nos on it. so I really dont know they shap of the motor I think the truth is I will go with the 98 motor and then get some new PI heads latter after my car is back on the rd. So if there is anyone out there that can help me with the info. to change them or is there anything I will need to know it will be alot of help. If anyone has done this before and any can help with pixs I will send you my email address.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Ok now yet another update. I called a shop to see how much it would be to do the swap and they have me a price of 1600 to 2300. 1600 is for me to bring my car no motor or tranny and just the other motor and trany. The 2300 is if I bring both cars and they pull both motors and do the swap. From what I found mid year 98 they changed the fuel system on the gt. I also seen someone say there was a few other odd and ends in different places. I guess I will be doing it myself I dont have that kind of money to do the work. With the PI heads I want to do that I could get away with it for like 500 doing it myself. But I dont want to mess up and get some bad heads then I am another 500 in the hole and still no car. I know the 98 motor there is nothing wrong with it. The only mods on it is a older procharger supercharger from what I been told didnt really help with the power of the car. But I also was told tonight from the guy I got the car from the guy before him had nos on it. so I really dont know they shap of the motor I think the truth is I will go with the 98 motor and then get some new PI heads latter after my car is back on the rd. So if there is anyone out there that can help me with the info. to change them or is there anything I will need to know it will be alot of help. If anyone has done this before and any can help with pixs I will send you my email address.
You are right, they switched to a returnless fuel rail in mid 98, in which case all you have to do is reuse your old fuel rail. If they 98 motor is coming with the procharger, then hell go for it.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Jerry96gt

Ok well thanks for the help I am going to wait for a phone call to be able to get the motor. I am getting a deal on it told a friend about the car he just wants the body said if I pull the motor I can have it. He has a build motor he is going to put in the car. I am going to jump in to this I have sent out alot of emails and just waiting. I cant wait to get my car and take it for a drive. I will let you know how this turns out.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Jerry96gt

Well next question do I just plug the 98 ecu up and all is well or is there more to it then that ? The cars are the same both 4.6 5 speeds the only thing is the 96 is a convertible and the 98 is not.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:46 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Well next question do I just plug the 98 ecu up and all is well or is there more to it then that ? The cars are the same both 4.6 5 speeds the only thing is the 96 is a convertible and the 98 is not.
All of this comes down to is the 98 ECU tuned or not? If it's not tuned, then stick with your 96 ECU.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Jerry96gt

Ok if I keep the 96 ecu will everything work or will it need to be tuned to work like it should I will have the car there to have my pick of anything on the car I will need I can have. My friend just wants it for the body its going to be a drag car he will build so ecu and all I can get. If I will have to tune the 96 ect for it to work then I will just swap the ecu as well.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Jerry96gt

Oh any the 96 was tuned by a superchips programer but from what they told me it is no good now and with the mods on the 96 it wouldnt help it but the guy told me the tune is stuck on the ecu I will just go with the 98 ecu to save any problems from the old tune. When I hook the tuner up it says there is a performance tune on the cat but then it says its vin locked.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

this thread makes my head hurt...

you can drop in a 32v and itll run on the stock ECU...
Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
this thread makes my head hurt...

you can drop in a 32v and itll run on the stock ECU...
Yeah, but if that 98 motor is coming with the blower, it definitely needs to be tuned.

Quick Reply: 98 gt motor in a 96 gt body