4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

98 gt motor in a 96 gt body

Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Punctuation is an amazing idea, you should use it. As for it being auto use the computer from YOUR car. It is a 100% direct swap, no mods, tunes, fancy work or anything of the sort needed. Just plug it in and go.

As for your concerns about "the bearing on the crank" it's called a pilot bearing and AmercianMuscle.com sells a damn nice one from Ford Racing for all of $11, or something close to that.

When you hit us with walls of text like the above post it WILL make peoples heads hurt, especially when every single wall of text asks the same question, with a minor difference of wording.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Jerry96gt

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
Punctuation is an amazing idea, you should use it. As for it being auto use the computer from YOUR car. It is a 100% direct swap, no mods, tunes, fancy work or anything of the sort needed. Just plug it in and go.

As for your concerns about "the bearing on the crank" it's called a pilot bearing and AmercianMuscle.com sells a damn nice one from Ford Racing for all of $11, or something close to that.

When you hit us with walls of text like the above post it WILL make peoples heads hurt, especially when every single wall of text asks the same question, with a minor difference of wording.
Well what you have to say I could careless. I came to get help and that is what I was looking for
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Jerry,

It's been sort of confusing to understand what you have been asking, because your questions have not always been completely direct.

The rest of you guys that have been trying to talk to him about a PI swap or purchasing a newer 99 and up PI motor, thats a good thing, but I'm not sure that Jerry understands what you are talking about, or if he does, what is necessary to complete the swap. Even if he did, I am not sure he is capable of performing the swap (at least by reading directions from here) or by description.

Jerry, you seem like a nice guy. Do you have someone who can assisting in helping make decisions on your car, and to help with the install? I know you want it done right. I sought help when I swapped out the motor in my Cobra b/c I wanted to make sure that it was done right, and done fairly quickly. I am trained as an auto mechanic but its been years since then, and I don't work in that field. But I know some stuff. I found a guy who is a Ford mechanic and who does work on the side at home. Charged me 300 bucks for the whole swap. Of course, so I would know the details, I had my hands in it when it happened, but he had the compressor, the tools, the warm garage, and the knowledge to perform the swap with his eyes blindfolded.

Good luck man, ask questions if you like, and hopefuly we'll be able to answer some or all of them. In the meantime, see if you can find someone locally who can work with you to help you with this project and to also help you understand what the folks on here are talking about. They are a smart crew...
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 PM
SchmigShady

Originally Posted by BraMas
personally I wouldn't wast your time with a 98 4.6 it is the same crappy motor in your car now. Consider getting a 99 up 4.6L
Whats so crappy about the motor other then it doesn't make as much power as the PI? I personally like the the motor in my 96 however if the motor ever goes i'm going to a PI or cobra motor.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SchmigShady
Whats so crappy about the motor other then it doesn't make as much power as the PI? I personally like the the motor in my 96 however if the motor ever goes i'm going to a PI or cobra motor.
It's a freaking V8 that makes 215HP, gets 20MPG, and has no throttle response. My Super Coupe made more power, more torque, more response and got better gas mileage stock and it's a dinky 3.8L V6 with a tiny little M90 blower on it.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Jerry96gt

Ok... Now that people dont get. I have a 96 gt I am going to put a motor from a 98 gt in it. That is clear. That was not a question that is a statment. My question is what would I run in to when doing this. Ok now I have did the swap and no thinks to the people on here I found out there is only a few sincers that needed to be changed. So I have my car back together and its running now. So now the next time I do this I will be going to a pi swap or a cobra motor. I wanted to do it in a quick and hurry. Now to the people that dont get it I have a car with a free motor why spend money on something when it is free ? So now the car is back to running I can do some things to it as i go alone and then I can do my swap again for the better motor. There was not a question there just a statement of facts.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Glad its back together and running, this thread should of stopped at exactly what it was. 96-98=direct swap. Definatly glad your back up and running.