4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
View Poll Results: What kind kind of mid pipe should be paired with Magnapacks and LT's?
O/R X
68.18%
O/R H
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Magnapacks:: X or H mid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

DW, You do the install your self of the LTs? I know it's labor intensive, and long, but how HARD was it? I've got a pretty nice selection of extensions, wobbling extensions, and even universal ends that will let me get to all sorts of angles and stuff..

How hard is it to drop the K member? We pulled the cobra motor out from the top, so the K member was never removed for reference as I know you were following that thread as well.

I will probably buy an X pipe now, and just keep my eyes open for an H pipe, with the new lift, it takes about 8 minutes to change mid pipes.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

My cousin, dad and I installed the LT's on our own. Dropping the K member was not bad at all there are 8 bolts if i remember correctly holding it in, do not remove the rack and pinion just zip tie it out of the way. The drivers side was harder to put on then the passenger side even though it looks like there is more room on drivers side its hard to get stuff positioned right. And when you put the header in on drivers side BEFORE you bolt anything up put the steering shaft in place where it should be because you have to check for clearance. I didnt do this and when i started the car to pull it off the lift realized the steering was hitting horribly so i had to pull it back off and bang the header in just a little bit to get clearance, it still rubs a little but not enough for me to pull it back off again.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Oh and make sure you get the 02 sensor extensions, and i got exhaust wrap and wrapped it around the exhaust where the extension ran just as a precaution to make sure i didnt melt the wires because the extension wires were very close to the pipe the whole way back
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

If I get home on a friday and work through the evening and saturday, is it something I can have buttoned up by sunday at dinner time?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
If I get home on a friday and work through the evening and saturday, is it something I can have buttoned up by sunday at dinner time?
should be able to, i got mine done in a day
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Yah should be able too, took me about 2 nights and had it all taken care of. And that was even after i pulled drivers side header back out. We wasnt in a hurry either we were taking our time. But honestly you should give yourself a generous amount of time incase something does go wrong, you never know you may have a stud break off in a head or strip the threads or any numerous things could happen, my advice would be give yourself a nice long weekend and dont rush any of it thats when the mistakes happen. I started rushing myself and thats why i had to unbolt the k member and drop the drivers side header back out
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 AM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

i run a mac o/r h-pipe, along with mac lt's and magnapacks. no problems with fitment, and havent found a person yet who doesnt love the sound of my car :-)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
waynem67

I got the upr catted x with a Mac cat back and stock manifolds, the install wasn't great it hangs lower than I expected, but damm it sounds mean. and I feel like the cars gotta a little more pull towards the top, although that could just be my imagination
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
LOL
Note that this comes from a guy with O/R X and Loudmouth 1's. Obviously loud is the name of the game here.
and longtubes.....
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

LOL
Yup, I saw the long tubes also, but the point was O/R pipe w/ LOUDMOUTH1's.
A very loud set-up. One would have to assume that LOUD was the primary objective there.
Don't get me wrong, some guys really like their car LOUD and this set-up is very satisfying for them.

Quick Reply: Magnapacks:: X or H mid?