4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My Recession Buster Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

it all depends on what rwhp it lays down n/a. it will most likely be 100 or 125 shot.i first got to get a 3/4 inch spacer on the upper plenum so i can clear the NOS nossles. i might have to pull the front cover off and do that. also, if any one has a set of 11 bolt, driver side oil fill, 2v valve covers laying around, i need them. the intake tube is going to hit the oil fill
Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

ok, small update. i got the steeda k-member ordered on saturday. hoping to have the k member and engine in the car by this coming up saturday
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

nice keep up the good work, youre building your car for both of us now lol
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

working on it man!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

got to get some work done today. got the trans and k member pulled. heres some pics:

Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

just a pic update since my suspension came in today. mm review tomarrow:

Old 03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

let us know how you like that MM stuff!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

lookin good!!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

ok, i promised a review so here goes part 1. this is a unbiased review and i WILL pick on maximum motorsports. as some of you know, i was going with a steeda k member but the company i was going through priced at 700 instead of the ussual 900. the online price was wrong and after figuring out i needed new control arms, mine were getting rough, i decided to go mm.
first off, the packing was excellent! foam padding on all corners, whole k member was secure and wrapped and even had a paper with the packager's id number. the control arms were in their own box inside the larger one and all hardware packages weren't bouncing around. great all around packaging here
i was a little worried about how strong and durable these parts were even after seeing great reviews one after another. there's aways seems to be a person to push the limits of parts like these and ive had several people point fingers at me. as i start going through the box of goodies, i start to reallize i made the right choise. these parts are beefy! very heavy duty and well designed. all parts were made with nice thick material and all mating joints were welded on both sides, this really makes me grin! i hate when companies weld just on one side or weld just part of the seem to save time and money. i also like the grease fittings, great idea if ussed regularly. the design on the sway bar connections on the control arms is well done with the cup style instead of being just a flat peice. it also continues done to the balljoint and 2nd's for a gusset. as gussets go, they're everywhere and add to the strength and rigidness of the control arms and k member. all i can say is these parts are built tough and im going to beat the he!! out of them on the track, strip and street!
ok, now for my concerns. most are very small and more of questions then concerns. first off, the paint! the black looks great and is well applied, but come on! powder coat! much more durable and long lasting! here are a couple pics of my chair which is powder coated. its about 4 years old and it took a beating everyday being drug accross concrete and blacktop to remove the wheels to be put in the car. below that is a pic of the rzr. the red is powder coat and black is paint. see the difference?

2nd thing is about the control arms. on the id of the bushing housing is very rough. not for sure if this is purposely done or bad machining?
3rd is involves the same spot. there is a powder like substance left in here, thinking its left from a sand blaster or bead blaster(uses glass beads instead of sand). i know these parts were cleaned for paint because the paint wouldnt look this good.

overall, i would give a A+ on build quaility and shipping! and yes im glad i went this route. hopefully mm will come in and answer my concerns! btw, sorry for such a long read!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

just a small note on the mmr oil pan. I dont know how low your car is, or how much street duty you plan on having. But i put the oil pan and windage tray in on my build. I was all excited to get everything back together. Went driving, had like 50 miles on it. brought my sister and her boyfriend out for a ride, hit a pothole, not a huge one, but enough, it bottomed the pan out on the road and tore a quarter sized hole in the oil pan(at the drain plug), and i lost all 8 quarts(yes it took 8, not 7) within about 2 blocks, lucky i got it home. Lesson was, the pan hangs below the k member, so basically nothing protects it. So i only have a 2.1 drop in the front. I had to cut the whole bottom off remove 1/2 an inch and weld it back up. now it sits just about flush with the k memeber. i dont foresee having that problem again. I wanted to tell you this, because if you feel that will be a problem its way easier to fix it when its out. I fixed it in the car, but had problems getting it to seal because too much oil drain back to create a solid leak free weld. So i ended up having to basically pull the motor again to fix it.

Quick Reply: My Recession Buster Engine Build