4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advice on lowering my 00 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

True..... may I have your hand in marriage?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Yup, JAZZER is on target as usual.
That budget just isn't going to get this project done. It will require saving funds a little longer to acquire the components he needs. With that much drop, he will need some good struts, CC Plates at a minimum.

Are you dropping it just for looks, or are you truly interested in improving the handling?
If handling is the goal, you probably don't want to drop it 2". Tell us more about what you want to do with the car and more specific advice may be available.

It is not worth trying to take short-cuts on suspension upgrades. It is better to save longer and do it "right."
Exactly. ^

I was assuming, with his budget, it was just for looks. I feel like he could find springs and c/c plates used for what he wants to spend and get by that way.

Obviously, the best option would be to lower the car with a MM coil-over kit. I wish I knew this 2 years ago when I spent money lowering my car. I should have just waited for coil-overs....
Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Not to rub salt, but why I am ALWAYS asking ones ULTIMATE goal. I have spent thousands of $$$ on parts I ended up replacing later

Jazzer.... gots love for his pepes who have done the same dumb things he has
Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Yup, some of us have lived and learned. Therefore, we now try to prevent others from having to learn the same things we did on their own. Smart people ask questions and take advantage of other people's experience.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Yup, some of us have lived and learned. Therefore, we now try to prevent others from having to learn the same things we did on their own. Smart people ask questions and take advantage of other people's experience.
Exactly.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

I'm still learning this. Jazzer, like always, is right.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

A drop of 1.7" in the rear will affect the ride if you have many significant bumps in the road. The rear suspension only has like 3.5" of travel in stock trim, so it wouldn't take too much to get you hitting the rear bumpstop with only half of the travel remaining. Firm springs and dampers will be required to keep you off the rear bumpstop on a regular basis.

More expensive, but coil-overs are the best way to get the best balance of height and ride comfort.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
01FPGT
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
"... Obviously, the best option would be to lower the car with a MM coil-over kit. I wish I knew this 2 years ago when I spent money lowering my car. I should have just waited for coil-overs....
agreed, save your money and go coil overs.. but again..it all depends on what your are trying to do, straight line, twisties or show??

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 01-17-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01FPGT
Obviously, the best option would be to lower the car with a MM coil-over kit. I wish I knew this 2 years ago when I spent money lowering my car. I should have just waited for coil-overs....
agreed, save your money and go coil overs.. but again..it all depends on what your are trying to do, straight line, twisties or show??[/QUOTE]

agreed...

my little brother just wants to look good, so i did H&R SS and Tokicko's with no ISO's and it looks GREAT, just going down the road or parked but thats about it...

i want to unleash my car around Lime Rock, the Glenn, and VIR in a regular basis so im getting full coil overs all the way around along with IRS...

just getting the car too look great is the cheapest way, but if you actually want to do anything with it, you need to put together a well though out combo, otherwise youre gonna be upset with the end result...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:56 AM
V8rider

Thanks everyone for your useful advice.
And Jazzer, my ultimate goal is to lower my car without affecting the ride quality too much. I don't plan on taking it to the track or racing, I just use it as a daily driver.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 AM
V8rider

Yes, I am going for looks now so I will be going with the coil over kit since they seem the best option.
And yes taking advice from the experienced is extremely useful. Thanks! =)

Quick Reply: Advice on lowering my 00 GT