4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ok, gears or SCT tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Ok, gears or SCT tuner???

It's down to the wire and im going to chose one or the other, sct tuner from AM or 3.73 gears, not 4.10s since my daily drive is FOREVER haha. I'm leaning towards the tuner but what would y'all do first? Hell if I waited a few more weeks I could buy the combo from AM
Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Explosive

Wait a few weeks and get the combo.

If you're auto I say tuner, manual get the gears.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

im manual...
Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

tune first. if you get the gears first without the tune it's just going to throw your speedo off, and in turn will rack up more miles on the odo than what it's really getting. if they have a decent sized discount when getting the combo, then wait and do that. if it's not worth it then get the tuner first.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Crispy2000Gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
tune first. if you get the gears first without the tune it's just going to throw your speedo off, and in turn will rack up more miles on the odo than what it's really getting. if they have a decent sized discount when getting the combo, then wait and do that. if it's not worth it then get the tuner first.
that makes alot of sence , iv never thought about that
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

just as greddy said u need the tuner to calibrate the odometer so get the tuner first but the combo will probably save u the money, your gonna need to get your install kit and gear oil as well
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Save and get the combo.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 AM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Does anybody have solid evidence that the Tuner will actually add Hp and or increase gas mileage? Im just curious, Im about to do same as op but I have an auto.

Also would 373 gears decrease gas mileage?

sorry for the threadjack, just thought my question was relevant
Thankyou
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supermario
Does anybody have solid evidence that the Tuner will actually add Hp and or increase gas mileage? Im just curious, Im about to do same as op but I have an auto.

Thankyou
I dont have solid evidence other than you can really feel it. especially with an auto you can set it to shift a tad higher and firmer. 3.73's will only decrease mileage a little bit, it will prolly help your city mpg due to making the engine have to work less, but will decrease the highway mpg a couple. however with an auto you wont be satisfied with 3.73's, i wasn't and had to switch over to 4.10's.

also, for auto cars stick with either sct or diablo, I had a sniper special forces tuner and it does not work with our trannies, not sure why but you set it to shift at a certain rpm and it wont. i found this out the hard way.

Last edited by ctgreddy; 01-23-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Explosive

Originally Posted by supermario

Thankyou

I should specify my response. I dont think the tuner really adds a ton of power. It's nice to be able to recalibrate for gears ect. But if you can't afford the combo I said gears for a manual since I think you'd gain more from that and said tuner for an auto because the way my tranny works after getting the tuner is night and day. It shifts awesome now with the tuner. I guess it depends on what gears you have. Luckily machs came with 3.55's so it's not too bad at the moment.

Quick Reply: Ok, gears or SCT tuner???