4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need help deciding what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
well I'm going with my buddy, who is trailering his car. and if either of us break they're taking the trailer and the other cars doing nothing more than cruising to make sure neither of us have a tow bill.
Good idea, well i think you should cam your current motor and see what it has with a 125 shot. And then you could just put some money towards your forged motor as you get it
Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

You are better off just doing the work once. No reason to do the entire top end just to rip it back off and buy all new gaskets to put it on the built motor a few months later. I still say build the motor first. Especially if you have a trailer worst case scenario you snap an axle and trailer it home. I know the car is your DD so its much easier/cheaper to get a random 8.8 stock axle to put in to replace yours until you can afford to build it than it is to replace your motor.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:22 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Kerns
You are better off just doing the work once. No reason to do the entire top end just to rip it back off and buy all new gaskets to put it on the built motor a few months later. I still say build the motor first. Especially if you have a trailer worst case scenario you snap an axle and trailer it home. I know the car is your DD so its much easier/cheaper to get a random 8.8 stock axle to put in to replace yours until you can afford to build it than it is to replace your motor.
I'm confused why he would have to "rip off" the top end twice? I'm assuming the cams he's going to install will fit the stock pistons and intake valves. If that's the case he'll only need to take the valve and timing cover off to install the cams.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Id just cam ur current car. Use the same cams in ur new motor and i think addressing the rear end is an important thing. They motor will be fine i think as long as the tune is semi conservitive.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

camming this motor is no big deal i could have it done in a day. wont take long at all to get the vc's and timing cover off. I think i'm gonna go with that idea, since I have a few other things i need to do to the car before the trip anyways like subframes, new brakes, tie rod end, etc.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
I'm confused why he would have to "rip off" the top end twice? I'm assuming the cams he's going to install will fit the stock pistons and intake valves. If that's the case he'll only need to take the valve and timing cover off to install the cams.
Was under the impression he was going to be doing all new gaskets... If he is just installing cams and doing nothing else then he won't have to rip the top end off twice.