4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Axle bearing / seal, removal / install ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by rastarocket
no no, im not touching the carrier, that doesnt move, which means the ring gear and pinion dont move. all im doing is taking the spider gears side gears and clutch packs out, and replacing that with the powertrax locker parts. (this)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-1820-LR/?rtype=1

and the onyl thing im unsure about is how to slide the axles in to remoce the c clips, on a mustang, and i was hoping to get some tips for that, and if while im in there i should replace the axle bearings?
Removing the axles is very simple, when you open the rear up on the carrier you will see a small 8mm bolt head on it near one of the ends, you remove this bolt and then the lock shaft that runs through the middle of the carrier will fall out, then all you have to do is push the axles in a bit and the c clips will fall out as well, easy as cake.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

no no, im not touching the carrier, that doesnt move, which means the ring gear and pinion dont move. all im doing is taking the spider gears side gears and clutch packs out, and replacing that with the powertrax locker parts. (this)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-1820-LR/?rtype=1

and the onyl thing im unsure about is how to slide the axles in to remoce the c clips, on a mustang, and i was hoping to get some tips for that, and if while im in there i should replace the axle bearings?
LOL this is gonna end so bad.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
LOL this is gonna end so bad.
see post #6 lol
Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Has anyone ever used one of those powertrax things, i looks like it would explode with anykind of traction. Judging by reviews it seems like those are good for offroad 4x4 and thats abot it, use in a street car people say they wear out fast.

Last edited by uberstang1; 02-07-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

rears are easy as hell. all i do is make one phone call and drive 1.5 hours to the dirrty and have whitefox do it.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by kugzgt
rears are easy as hell. all i do is make one phone call and drive 1.5 hours to the dirrty and have whitefox do it.
Lmao, kugzy loves doin rears.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

since when did it become a crime to want to do your own work... any meatball with a wad of cash can take there car to a shop and have someone else do their work. i, on the other hand, like to work on my cars MYSELF becasue i know i dont cut short cuts. i have done the exact same project on my old mans car, im very familiar with powertrax.. i am not very familiar with for rear ends tho, and since i have done a powertrax instal BEFORE i wanted to do it to my car... what i wanted to know is any little tips anyone could offer about ford diffs and axles. and if no one had ANYY bit of advice for the project, i was just gonna dig in.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

since when did it become a crime to want to do your own work... any meatball with a wad of cash can take there car to a shop and have someone else do their work. i, on the other hand, like to work on my cars MYSELF becasue i know i dont cut short cuts. i have done the exact same project on my old mans car, im very familiar with powertrax.. i am not very familiar with for rear ends tho, and since i have done a powertrax instal BEFORE i wanted to do it to my car... what i wanted to know is any little tips anyone could offer about ford diffs and axles. and if no one had ANYY bit of advice for the project, i was just gonna dig in.
well once you get the axles out, pop the pin and S clip out and your done. I wouldnt touch the axle bearings or seals if they arent leaking and the smooth part of the axle that the bearings rides on is in good shape. Its pretty straight forward for the most part. Just wear your sunday best because that gear fluid smells like roses
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
gtjason

Default axle removal

ok so everyone says just push the axle in & remove the C-clips. The book even says that's all you do. But of course, the problem I'm having is, my axle will not push in. It moves about an 1/8"-1/4" & that's it. The little S bracket/spacer thingy is in the way too. Help!! 2001 gt if it matters.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by gtjason
ok so everyone says just push the axle in & remove the C-clips. The book even says that's all you do. But of course, the problem I'm having is, my axle will not push in. It moves about an 1/8"-1/4" & that's it. The little S bracket/spacer thingy is in the way too. Help!! 2001 gt if it matters.
You have to remove the abs sensors (and don't break them!) Then you can push the axle in enough to get a screw driver in there and pop the c clips out.