Horrible grinding noise from rear end... need some help - MustangForums.com



4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,228
Default Horrible grinding noise from rear end... need some help

Ok so this is on my 2000GT, its a metal on metal grinding noise coming from somewhere in the rear. I had my buddy listen and he said it sounds like its coming from both sides of the car in the back.

It sounds very similar to what a brake caliper would sound like on a rotor with no pad left and seems to go with wheel rotation. It also seems to only happen when the car has been driven and is warm. Also only at low speeds while I'm slipping the clutch (clutch slipping is probably unrelated, it's just because it only happens at low speeds). Once I'm moving the sound goes away and my buddy also said it seems to sound louder in the car than outside it.

I have no idea what this can be. My universals on my driveshaft seem tight and I see no clean scrapes on the driveshaft or rotors from something maybe rubbing it. I pulled on the rear wheels left and right and top to bottom with the car in the air to test wheel bearings and they seem tight as well. Oh and I checked my brakes pads too, they're fine so it's not the pads. I also jacked the car up and tried to create the noise with the car in the air, but it will only do it while the car is on the ground at low speeds (under 5 mph). What can this be, it's driving me nuts and I don't want a wheel bearing to fail while I'm driving or something of the like.
69MustangCoupe393cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member
 
Syracuse315's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 476
Default

Could be something grinding in the rear diff? When is the last time you changed the fluid (I believe every 60k miles is recommended).
Syracuse315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,928
Default

Does the noise happen when travelling in a straight line or while turning, or both?

Regardless, I would pull the differential cover and have a look inside...
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,612
Default

Open the rear cover and inspect it, anything grinding should be noticable on the inside.
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse315 View Post
Could be something grinding in the rear diff? When is the last time you changed the fluid (I believe every 60k miles is recommended).
20k miles ago with Amsoil synthetic. It was changed at 60k on the nose, car now has 82k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Does the noise happen when travelling in a straight line or while turning, or both?



Regardless, I would pull the differential cover and have a look inside...
I think both, but possibly more while turning.

Booooo it's cold.

I bottomed my car out a while ago actually when this noise started now that I think about it, my K-member shifted back about 1/4 inch. Could that have jammed the entire drivetrain back into my rear end and messed something up?
69MustangCoupe393cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
uberstang1
Chupacabra
 
uberstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: wilkes-barre PA
Posts: 9,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid View Post
20k miles ago with Amsoil synthetic. It was changed at 60k on the nose, car now has 82k.



I think both, but possibly more while turning.

Booooo it's cold.

I bottomed my car out a while ago actually when this noise started now that I think about it, my K-member shifted back about 1/4 inch. Could that have jammed the entire drivetrain back into my rear end and messed something up?
Its possible, granted i dont think a 1/4 could jar anything in the rear because the slip yoke on the trans end of the driveshaft would just slide in another 1/4 inch. But its possible that the driveshaft angle can be off on top of any other vibrations with the driveline are being transferred to the driveshaft which i personally think is the issue here and not the rear.
uberstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,928
Default

Enough of a jolt to push the K-member back 1/4" could have shoved the engine/transmission assembly back considerably farther as both motor and transmission mounts are flexible in all three planes. It could be the pinion bearings/crush sleeve took some of it and the pinion/ring backlash was affected--or that a bearing inner/outer race was dented...
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Enough of a jolt to push the K-member back 1/4" could have shoved the engine/transmission assembly back considerably farther as both motor and transmission mounts are flexible in all three planes. It could be the pinion bearings/crush sleeve took some of it and the pinion/ring backlash was affected--or that a bearing inner/outer race was dented...
Well as you remember it was a hard enough hit to set off my airbag module, so yeah it was a pretty nice hit. Caught the road for sure. But why would I only hear it at low speeds and only when warm? Fluid gets thin when warm maybe? But I still don't get why it's only heard at low speeds and than goes away.

EDI: Should I try to somehow move the K-member back to where it was? Or is it not a bag deal that it's further back since it's already there now?

Last edited by 69MustangCoupe393cid; 02-01-2012 at 08:19 PM.
69MustangCoupe393cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid View Post
Well as you remember it was a hard enough hit to set off my airbag module, so yeah it was a pretty nice hit. Caught the road for sure. But why would I only hear it at low speeds and only when warm? Fluid gets thin when warm maybe? But I still don't get why it's only heard at low speeds and than goes away.

EDI: Should I try to somehow move the K-member back to where it was? Or is it not a bag deal that it's further back since it's already there now?
I don't have a clue, open up the back end and let us know...
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
trailor
3rd Gear Member
 
trailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOLA
Posts: 665
Default

could you maybe post a video and/or sound clip??
trailor is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud Noise Above 30 MPH bjdutch2005 2005-2014 Mustangs 10 03-24-2017 03:38 AM
Happy with new Steeda suspension on my 2010 GT robjh22 Suspension 0 09-08-2015 12:47 PM
First Mustang 99' 3 differnt body kits installed TimeLord101 New Member Area 3 09-04-2015 09:27 AM
03 V6 Mustang Ticking Noise Emblazoned General Tech 0 09-03-2015 10:45 PM


Tags
06, 2006, axel, coming, end, ford, grinding, left, metal, mustang, noise, punkin, rear, scraping, sound, sounds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.