4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cold air intakes..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
if you want advice dont buy an intake, just get a drop in K&N filter. like you said you want a meaner sounding car get a midpipe and a catback. go on youtube and watch some clips

edit: let me explain a little more a cai doesnt do much for our cars because our cars already have a "cold air intake" theres only a few degree difference between a cai and the stock intake. the restrictive part is the filter so you can replace that. the main reason people get cai's is for the looks. i personally wouldnt buy one. i would start with exhaust because you can actually hear your car
^^^^THIS IS GOOD ADVICE^^^^
Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mathesar
I did some searching around before choosing JLT it seemed to be the best choice, most user comments on various forums claim they noticed a small gain in performance but I guess it could've been a placebo effect, Ive been driving this car for 4 years so I should be able to tell if there's any change.

Is it worth buying a tuner after installing the CAI? They're pretty expensive and wasn't sure if the HP gains were worth it for my motor which is basically stock except for the CAI coming next week, I noticed American muscle sells a JLT + Tuner combo kit http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-sct-9604gt-kit.html but I have no idea if thats a good brand tuner or what to look for.
As I posted above...

"If you are looking for quick and easy rwHP forget the intake (including "magic" filter elements) and upgrade the exhaust, then a tuner, then rear-end gears. After that get an aftermarket upper plenum, then a TB (70 mm is all you need, and in fact preferable).

Load a "93 octane" tune (or whatever you can get where you live--that will make the biggest difference), and then either say you're done or move to f/i. You can add some "tweaky" things like UDPs, lightened flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, etc but they will not produce any OMG increases."
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
mathesar

Ok thanks for the advice which was already mentioned earlier in the thread (My bad), Well according to JLT's return policy I can return it unused when it arrives minus shipping & 10% restocking fee, I'm not to happy about having to avoid puddles either especially if I'm not gaining any benefits from installing (other than looks).

Last edited by mathesar; 02-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Ok thanks for the advice which was already mentioned earlier in the thread (My bad), Well according to JLT's return policy I can return it unused when it arrives minus shipping & 10% restocking fee, I'm not to happy about having to avoid puddles either especially if I'm not gaining any benefits from installing (other than looks).
I would avoid driving thru deep standing water, but NO ISSUES driving the car as you normally do. I have the JLT CAI with a taller filter (hangs even lower) and there have been NO ISSUES driving the car in the rain. You just don't want to sink the filter into any standing water, but you'd pretty much have to be an idiot to do that anyway. You shouldn't drive any car thru water that deep.

GEARS are the best bang for the buck! Save your money and get some gears. They will provide you with a completely different feel from your car. Nothing else short of boost will make enough difference to actually feel. Cams are the second best mod I've done (gears are first).
Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM
mathesar

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I would avoid driving thru deep standing water, but NO ISSUES driving the car as you normally do. I have the JLT CAI with a taller filter (hangs even lower) and there have been NO ISSUES driving the car in the rain. You just don't want to sink the filter into any standing water, but you'd pretty much have to be an idiot to do that anyway. You shouldn't drive any car thru water that deep.

GEARS are the best bang for the buck! Save your money and get some gears. They will provide you with a completely different feel from your car. Nothing else short of boost will make enough difference to actually feel. Cams are the second best mod I've done (gears are first).
True I can't think of any times ive had to drive through DEEP puddles (nor would I want to), Would going from stock 3.27 to 3.73 gears provide a decent jump in acceleration or would you go straight for 4.10s?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Would going from stock 3.27 to 3.73 gears provide a decent jump in acceleration or would you go straight for 4.10s?
yes it was and the whole 3.73s or 4.10s is and endless debate that you should read on a try to decide from there.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...vs-3-73-a.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...rated-car.html
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Rockwell is correct, the 3.73 upgrade will be very noticeable. However, guys that are into maximum acceleration will say to go for 4.10 gears. You can see in my sig that I am currently running 3.90 gears and like them real well.

It really is your call. You have to decide what exactly you want your car to do for you and develop a mod list to accomplish that. The specific gear ratio is part of that list.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have determined to stay out of "what gears...?" discussions, however those asking may be interested in my How Fast Can I Go in Each Gear? calculator as resource for making that comes down to an informed personal choice.

Just select your transmission and desired gear set, and tire size if not stock--and please read footnoteš before reporting that the tire diameter does not calculate "properly".
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Whaaaat? Return your JlT????? The Jlt guys has 30rwhp dyno proof on their intakes!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Whaaaat? Return your JlT????? The Jlt guys has 30rwhp dyno proof on their intakes!!!!!!!!!!
Doesn't that go up by some percentage related to how many JLT stickers you have?

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes..