4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cold air intakes..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
If you want the whole package with great gains and sound, I recommend checking out the Steeda Power Pak Stage 3.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts?

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-p...d-mustang.html

Steeda is an ISO 9001-2008 company that makes all of their parts right here in the U.S.A.

Thanks

TJ
Yeah, $450 to neck your 80 mm MAF down to 75 mm on the way the the TB...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Phaxtor
1st Gear Member

I didn't realize I could just optimize the CAI with a nice aftermarket air filter.. Is there any specific one worth really looking into? I need to make an order from american muscle tomorrow anyway so I'll just add it in. I'm glad I asked before I purchased an aftermarket CAI because now I can put that money toward the headers I want instead :P
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Well, I made 262/305 rwHP/torque with the stock intake, a Purolator paper filter from Advance Auto, and the mods listed below--so you decide how to spend your $$$.

If you are looking for quick and easy rwHP forget the intake (including "magic" filter elements) and upgrade the exhaust, then a tuner, then rear-end gears. After that get an aftermarket upper plenum, then a TB (70 mm is all you need, and in fact preferable).

Load a "93 octane" tune (or whatever you can get where you live--that will make the biggest difference), and then either say you're done or move to f/i. You can add some "tweaky" things like UDPs, lightened flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, etc but they will not produce any OMG increases.

If you want to pursue more "bolt-on" rwHP running n/a it won't be cheap--cams/heads/etc all make for a happier engine but without any real "bang-for-the-buck" rwHP gains--the 2V engine really needs f/i to get a bonafide kick-in-the-pants...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
If you want the whole package with great gains and sound, I recommend checking out the Steeda Power Pak Stage 3.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts?

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-p...d-mustang.html

Steeda is an ISO 9001-2008 company that makes all of their parts right here in the U.S.A.

Thanks

TJ
$1600 for maybe 30rwhp increase doesn't sound justified to me. You can take that $1600 and put together an innercooled vortech setup and make 100+ rwhp.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^oxford speaks the truth....
Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 AM
mathesar

Well this thread is a Bummer, I ordered a JLT cold air intake for my 00 GT (arrives this Monday) I was under the impression it would at least be worth a small HP boost, sure seemed like it from all the dyno results on JLTs website.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Never believe what a company says their product will make hp wise. They always lie.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1, and for future reference never believe anything, anyone trying to sell you something says...

The good news is that of all of them out there the JLT is probably the best. At least they put some thought into its design rather than just cobbling up some flashy looking pieces of straight wall pipe...

Last edited by cliffyk; 02-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM
mathesar

Originally Posted by cliffyk
^+1, and for future reference never believe anything, anyone trying to sell you something says...

The good news is that of all of them out there the JLT is probably the best. At least they put some thought into its design rather than just cobbling up some flashy looking pieces of straight wall pipe...
I did some searching around before choosing JLT it seemed to be the best choice, most user comments on various forums claim they noticed a small gain in performance but I guess it could've been a placebo effect, Ive been driving this car for 4 years so I should be able to tell if there's any change.

Is it worth buying a tuner after installing the CAI? They're pretty expensive and wasn't sure if the HP gains were worth it for my motor which is basically stock except for the CAI coming next week, I noticed American muscle sells a JLT + Tuner combo kit http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-sct-9604gt-kit.html but I have no idea if thats a good brand tuner or what to look for.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

A $229 piece of painted sewer pipe that will get you no gain. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Make sure you avoid puddles at all cost with that unprotected filter dipping down into the fender. $229 and quickly turn into $4000.

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes..