4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Considering Trading My 2002 Z28 for a GT Plus Cash. Give Opinions Here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
TwitchZ28

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Why would you want to go from 11s N/A to being lucky to run 12s N/A with the Mustang.
Because there is more to a car than how it goes in a straight line...especially considering I race 0 out of the days in the month man...It really seems like you're not hearing me.

I understand speed is fun. Why do you think I bought my z28 over a mustang in the first place? I wanted to go fast...I still do. But if the mustang is an overall better car(which I have no idea if it is or not...that's why i'm here) I will trade for it and take the speed hit to have the other qualities and the bike...

Isn't this the main arguments that mustang owners use to defend their purchase? That they want style, or comfort, or pedigree, or image or anything over just straight speed? I am just surprised to show up and have a bunch of mustang owner admit they would rather have the ls1 car...why didn't you buy one to start with?

I am not trying to step on toes I am legitimately curious. If everyone here is saying to keep the z28 why do you own mustangs. I am trying to stay totally neutral in this so I can see both sides and make an informed decision but I really am just curious.

What to you made the mustang more appealing than a camaro/trans am?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
Isn't this the main arguments that mustang owners use to defend their purchase? That they want style, or comfort, or pedigree, or image or anything over just straight speed? I am just surprised to show up and have a bunch of mustang owner admit they would rather have the ls1 car...why didn't you buy one to start with?

I am not trying to step on toes I am legitimately curious. If everyone here is saying to keep the z28 why do you own mustangs. I am trying to stay totally neutral in this so I can see both sides and make an informed decision but I really am just curious.

The MAIN reason they are saying that is the power and power potential of the ls motor but like you said its not all about that. As far as style around town comfort and highway comfort just the things you are looking for period I say get the Mustang and Bike no doubt. Take stock power and n/a power potential out of the equation then go with the stang no doubt. IMO the f bodys seem to have the all out track feel to it vs the all around feel of the mustang. Change up the game and get that stang and get a bike on the side bud.

But you see the main reason ppl are saying keep the z28 is power this and power than but what you are looking for outside of that the stang you are looking at has decent miles almost none on the new setup and it looks to be in damn good shape. With all of that taken into consideration i say make the trade guy no doubt. Make the trade and dont look back

Hell it already has just about every bolt on that you can think of and the big complaint of the 2v gt is the flow of the heads(or lack there of) and those heads on the car you are looking at have been worked already. I mean look at that list of mods it seems like that stang is one hell of a good all around car IMO. Jump on that $hit. Ive owned 14+ cars since 1998 but the only car ive kept the longest was my mustang from 2005 until now its been with me from the states to the highways of Germany and back and the only thing mechanical ive replaced is a trans temp sensor back in 09 like a $69 part. Its a good all around car and with the power and mods of the one you are looking at it seems to be a Better all around car. hell it even has 3.73 gears a good all around gear(subjective) ;-)

Last edited by Rockwell28; 02-12-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM
TwitchZ28

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
The MAIN reason they are saying that is the power and power potential of the ls motor but like you said its not all about that. As far as style around town comfort and highway comfort just the things you are looking for period I say get the Mustang and Bike no doubt. Take stock power and n/a power potential out of the equation then go with the stang no doubt. IMO the f bodys seem to have the all out track feel to it vs the all around feel of the mustang. Change up the game and get that stang and get a bike on the side bud.

But you see the main reason ppl are saying keep the z28 is power this and power than but what you are looking for outside of that the stang you are looking at has decent miles almost none on the new setup and it looks to be in damn good shape. With all of that taken into consideration i say make the trade guy no doubt. Make the trade and dont look back

Hell it already has just about every bolt on that you can think of and the big complaint of the 2v gt is the flow of the heads(or lack there of) and those heads on the car you are looking at have been worked already. I mean look at that list of mods it seems like that stang is one hell of a good all around car IMO. Jump on that $hit. Ive owned 14+ cars since 1998 but the only car ive kept the longest was my mustang from 2005 until now its been with me from the states to the highways of Germany and back and the only thing mechanical ive replaced is a trans temp sensor back in 09 like a $69 part. Its a good all around car and with the power and mods of the one you are looking at it seems to be a Better all around car. hell it even has 3.73 gears a good all around gear(subjective) ;-)
You are speaking sense my friend...the thing is while you're talking about the heads being worked and this and that as being a good thing...being an ls guy all I can think is wow it's got all that and it's got the power of a stock ls1...yikes. Haha

I really just need to drive it and see how it feels. 373's are the ideal gear in my opinion. And I do like his build and the way it's been done. I tell you one thing...if this was a 4v that was built to the extent this 2v is...i'd be all over it!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

You are speaking sense my friend...the thing is while you're talking about the heads being worked and this and that as being a good thing...being an ls guy all I can think is wow it's got all that and it's got the power of a stock ls1...yikes. Haha

I really just need to drive it and see how it feels. 373's are the ideal gear in my opinion. And I do like his build and the way it's been done. I tell you one thing...if this was a 4v that was built to the extent this 2v is...i'd be all over it!
Yea but as far as the power numbers you have to know that bone stock these things dyno around 225-235 rwhp he has worked it on up to 309 rwhp thats quite a jump over the stock numbers in stock and modded ls world so i feel you on that note. And if it was a 4v im sure it would be valued more and it would be a str8 up trade and he may want cash coming his way instead lol.

power aside Just test it out for a half of a day city and highway and see how you like it and try and make a choice from there. I test drove one of those 02 t/a collectors edition one some years back i thought about trading my stang for it but after a good test drive the t/a it was clearly alot faster than my mustang and it even felt alot faster than the ls2 gto my wife traded her truck for that day it was a complete blast to drive but the comfort just didnt seem to be there for those long trips that I take sometimes all things considered i decided not to trade even though that car was a damn blast and had plenty of power it just had a different road feeling to it hard tot explain really it felt more like a race toy in a way and the asking price of 17grand turned me away too. But if i was still single without kids I would definately have a mustang and a fbody instead of a mustang and an mn12 tbird(alot of interior room but still 2 doors)

Back on subject just test the waters for at least an hour in that thing and take it from there. How soon is he wanting to try and make a deal?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM
blkside
1st Gear Member

I am not a fan of very many camaro years but the 02 is probably one of my favorite. I wouldnt trade what you have for the GT not even with cash on top. Save your money and do work when you can. Cars are projects... doing them all at once is a rare option for people... kick back,relax and enjoy...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 AM
TwitchZ28

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
Yea but as far as the power numbers you have to know that bone stock these things dyno around 225-235 rwhp he has worked it on up to 309 rwhp thats quite a jump over the stock numbers in stock and modded ls world so i feel you on that note. And if it was a 4v im sure it would be valued more and it would be a str8 up trade and he may want cash coming his way instead lol.

power aside Just test it out for a half of a day city and highway and see how you like it and try and make a choice from there. I test drove one of those 02 t/a collectors edition one some years back i thought about trading my stang for it but after a good test drive the t/a it was clearly alot faster than my mustang and it even felt alot faster than the ls2 gto my wife traded her truck for that day it was a complete blast to drive but the comfort just didnt seem to be there for those long trips that I take sometimes all things considered i decided not to trade even though that car was a damn blast and had plenty of power it just had a different road feeling to it hard tot explain really it felt more like a race toy in a way and the asking price of 17grand turned me away too. But if i was still single without kids I would definately have a mustang and a fbody instead of a mustang and an mn12 tbird(alot of interior room but still 2 doors)

Back on subject just test the waters for at least an hour in that thing and take it from there. How soon is he wanting to try and make a deal?
I feel you man...I'm leaning more and more on trying to just sell my car outright and buying a clean 01 cobra or 03 04 mach for 8 or 9 thousand and still getting the bike. I kinda feel like I would rather have a more stock 4v than a worked 2v...seems less risky.

Although...this one is awesome looking and was built by a reputable builder here locally. He's kinda the go to guy for mustang stuff. Idk guess we shall see.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

I feel you man...I'm leaning more and more on trying to just sell my car outright and buying a clean 01 cobra or 03 04 mach for 8 or 9 thousand and still getting the bike. I kinda feel like I would rather have a more stock 4v than a worked 2v...seems less risky.

Although...this one is awesome looking and was built by a reputable builder here locally. He's kinda the go to guy for mustang stuff. Idk guess we shall see.
I understand what you are saying and finding a 4v 2001 and up with low miles for that price will be kinda hard you can see them go for up to 14++grand for the mach http://autos.aol.com/used-list/year-...542/range-200/

and a pretty penny for an 01 cobra with decent miles http://autos.aol.com/used-list/year-...2/range-12500/

Thats why i said the main issue with 2v's is the flow of the factory heads and the heads on the car you are looking at have been worked. Even though the 4v heads are still better than worked heads but the cost of those 4v cars are not gonna be cheap at all. Good luck with that hunt and choice though.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Ron505
2nd Gear Member

I bought my stang because it was a great deal on a 5spd V8 convertible = fun as hell to drive.

Just not a fan of the fbody. I know it will blow my doors off, but I guess I don't care that much. Someday, I do hope to pump up the stang though.

Last edited by Ron505; 02-13-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

I can only speak for myself but, my previous car was an 02 Trans am and I didn't willingly trade it. I was slammed while at a light and it was beyond repair. I was like you and had been curious of Mustangs and I said what the heck I'll go for it. Granted mine is an S197 not a New Edge but I loved my T/A more then this car (let the bashing begin). It felt more like a sportscar to me. The initial test drive was good but day after day something felt like it just wasn't right (not physically with the car, just the fact that I was driving it). It was my fault though, I let myself get talked into it by family members and I still regret it. I have actually spent a lot of time looking in classifieds for an fbody or C5 vette. If you haven't yet, drive that Mustang and ask yourself if you want to drive it daily and weigh the pros and cons. Good Luck with your decision, I hope it makes you happy in the end.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

No bashing here, it's your opinion. The best advice I've heard here is to drive it to see if you really like it. Personally, I'd be more inclined to trade for a trans am than a Gt.

Quick Reply: Considering Trading My 2002 Z28 for a GT Plus Cash. Give Opinions Here!