4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

First mods after driving 2002 GT for a year...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Default First mods after driving 2002 GT for a year...

I've had my 2002 Mustang GT for about a year now and I put about 2000+ miles on it driving mainly to work and back. I'm trying to take it pretty easy on the car to try to drive it as long as possible, and it already has 140K miles. But then, I thought I should still enjoy the car while I drive it. So, I'm doing some low cost mods to make it a little more drivable. The first thing I thought of was the shifter. This stock Ford shifter feels really loose, kind of like rowing a boat. It doesn't make it easy to shift during fast driving, especially 2-3, but it's even more annoying during more leisurely driving, it seems like it takes 3 seconds to get from one gear to another if you're not slamming it into gear.
So, after much research and thought, I decided to get an MGW shifter. It's supposed to be delivered Monday and I'll try to install it as soon as I get a chance. I'm thinking that should really give it a better shifting feel. And while I was waiting for the shifter to get here, I also thought maybe some FRPP 4.10 gears would be a refreshing change, as the 275/40ZR17's don't want to spin very much without using the clutch or turning. So I ordered some of those also - I found a pretty nice deal on ebay, and an installation kit from another person on ebay. Plus a Cobra Bob shifter gasket from Cobra Bob, and a 2-inch 8 ball shifter **** off ebay as well. As soon as I get the shifter on, I'll take it to my mechanic for the rear end tune up, he said it was going to run about $300. I guess it could have been worse. Anyway, I'll report back after I get everything done to let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

You have 275's on 17x8's or on 17x9?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

looking at his pic im guessing he has 275s on 17x8s
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure they're 17x8's. tires are Nitto 555's.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:32 AM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

17x8 odd size usally 17x9 or 10.5
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
04camaroeater
1st Gear Member

If it were my car my next mod would be a mach 1 grille delete. I really don't like the new edge grilles!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

OP,
You are on the right track with your first mods! These two mods will absolutely make driving your car a new experience.

If your car has the TR-3650 5spd trans, you should change the trans fluid when you do the shifter. Putting 102oz of Mobil1 ATF will make a nice improvement in how smoothly it shifts.

If the car still has the original struts/shocks, you would notice a nice improvement by installing new ones. A cost effective set would be Koni STR-T shocks. Often times you don't know how bad the shocks have become until you install new ones. If the budget would allow, a set of Ford C-springs would be a nice upgrade for the street.

A chin spoiler is a very nice improvement for aesthetics. Sequential turn signals are a cool mod.

Either an O/R mid-pipe or a cat-back would make it sound more muscular and add to your driving satisfaction.

A lot of fun mods exist for our cars. Once you get started, it is very addictive.
Good luck and enjoy the new upgrades!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CobraFrenzy
17x8 odd size usally 17x9 or 10.5
It's not an odd size, it's the original size. Factory OEM Bullitt wheels are 17x8. It's what I have also. The question was asked by me, because I was curious about running 275's on the back (not front), without changing wheels. Wheels aren't in the budget right now.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Your car could really benefit from new headlights. You can get a full set for under $150 for aftermarket. If you do that, silicon seal them before installing them to avoid leaks, but they will eliminate the foggy headlight look that make your car look old. I replaced the ones on my 2001 GT with new OEM ones, which was more like $300, but it was well worth it.

Here's what mine looks like with NEW headlights... the difference will be stunning enough that people will comment about your car. I also put on the Mach1 chin spoiler (it just attaches to the factory bumper cover). I found an OEM one on eBay, but you can find a more affordable knock-off on Americanmuscle.com.

Last edited by ZeroTX; 02-26-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

[quote=ZeroTX;7854518]Your car could really benefit from new headlights. You can get a full set for under $150 for aftermarket. If you do that, silicon seal them before installing them to avoid leaks, but they will eliminate the foggy headlight look that make your car look old. I replaced the ones on my 2001 GT with new OEM ones, which was more like $300, but it was well worth it.

Here's what mine looks like with NEW headlights... the difference will be stunning enough that people will comment about your car.

[/quo

I was thinking the same thing... Great start on the mods.. I would just ask that you shy away from a cai system. Very expsenive bolt on, for very minimal gains..

Quick Reply: First mods after driving 2002 GT for a year...