4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just installed an MGW shifter - final thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Default Just installed an MGW shifter - final thoughts

Well, I got my MGW shifter installed in my 2002 Mustang GT, and it was fairly easy as far as the hard parts go. the rubber parts were a bit of a pill, but it was really no big deal. It took my about 3 hours, but I wasn't hurrying, and I changed the trans fluid at the same time. I used a cobra bob gasket with no sealant and that seems to be doing the job, although it looked a bit rinky-dink when I first checked it out. I also used an MGW inner dust boot, and the instructions were not really as clear as they could have been, and I had to pretty much just let the bolts pull the backing plate into place and keep everything held down, there was too much rubber up in there to sit flat without putting some pressure on it. But, it's pretty quiet though, especially when I've got the Megadeth cranked.

As far as shift feel goes, it has totally blown me away. I had no idea it would feel like this, I figured it would be like a stock shifter, just a little tighter. But it's a whole new world. It actually feels something like shifting an automatic with a B&M Quicksilver shifter or a Hurst Dual Gate. Much more precise than I expected. It makes the car a lot more fun to drive, even before I've had a chance to get the 4.10 gears installed. I don't see why cars don't come with shifters like this from the factory, it's a real revelation.

Here's a couple of photos of the finished installation - still need to clean the car though!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Great to hear, it has been my "best mod" since I got mine 5-years ago.

Like your shift ****...

Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 AM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

I absolutely love the MGW in my 96 GT. I can see how if your not familiar with aftermarket shifters for these cars how it can really surprise you at the difference. Im sure i said wow the first time I tried someones pro-5 or tri-ax. I have a pro-5 in the my 96 cobra which is also like a lot but I like the MGW just a tiny bit better. Congrats!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 AM
piledriver
Banned

I got mine 5 years ago, the blue one, which was the shortest throw one of the 2 they offered at the time. You are right, it's a blast ripping through the gears, MGW's are great! Were you as shocked as I was when you took out the stock one? What a piece of sh*t. Pressed metal. I bent mine in half like it was nothing, then proceeded to toss it in the sh*tcan.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Great to hear, it has been my "best mod" since I got mine 5-years ago.

Like your shift ****...

nice shift **** indeed! although yours looks like a regulation 2 1/8 inch billiard ball, I went with a smaller 2 inch size on mine.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by tracyballard
nice shift **** indeed! although yours looks like a regulation 2 1/8 inch billiard ball, I went with a smaller 2 inch size on mine.
2-1/4" International tournament size. I make them from real cue and 8-*****; mostly as gifts for friends with big fat hands like mine...

Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by cliffyk
2-1/4" International tournament size. I make them from real cue and 8-*****; mostly as gifts for friends with big fat hands like mine...

My wife would like that giant 8-ball shifter.... she has Man Hands. (Just Kidding).
Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the shifter.. Yeah, that MGW is most def worth the money!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

I just ordered mine yesterday, cant wait to put it in... but i have to wait to test it, because sadly my car blew head gaskets.. sorry to steal your thread but there are some knowledgeable mustang men here in this thread in particular... i was wondering how they might have blown.. they were only about a year old.. but the way i found out was the car was shooting oil up into the coolant tank, so i cleaned it out and thought it was all good then kept checking it and about 2 weeks later there was oil back in it... kept pondering why it was happening and then one day i started it up and it was blowing white smoke out the exhaust and thats when i came to the conclusion that it was blown head gaskets.. does that sound right to you guys? and also do you have any idea what would cause this to happen so soon? thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

the biggest clue of all that might lead me to suspect head gaskets is when you say they are only a year old. It's easy to mess up head gaskets, and even if you do everything right the heads and block might have needed to be honed first.

Quick Reply: Just installed an MGW shifter - final thoughts