4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need to rant about Bama Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Repzard the following is advice -
Call American Muscle, demand to speak with Chris Rose, tell him the situation and let him know how you are a loyal customer, someone that is big into the forums and feel that what you have been told is utter horseshlt.
Image is everything. Especially in this godforesaken awfully expensive lifestyle that we all live (gearheads).
Chris will make it work. I have full confidence that he will make it right.

Now if he doesn't, well then thats a different story.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Meant to say the following is *****MY advice lol! Fcking cell phone....
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I always thought you could get free tunes based on the SCT serial number which you purchased through AM, not based on your vehicle. They also provided some custom tunes for free when I was experimenting with a ported TB.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

BAMA makes it clear (and has made it clear for some time) on their Free Tunes for Life policy page that "...the original car tuned for device is eligible for the Free Tunes for Life program."

That the OP did not read and understand that is not BAMA's problem...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^Cliffy I was not aware of that.

However, life is about negotiation. Go out there and make it happen Rep!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That has been their policy for since the Free Tunes for Life (FTFL) offer was introduced, and is one I that I can understand as like any business their bottom line goal is to make enough money to make it worth staying in business--if they can't do that then FTFL wouldn't be worth a crap even for one car.

I'd bet it's mentioned in the documentation shipped with the tuner too.

Calling the program Free Tunes for Life is misleading. It should be called Free Tunes for as Long as You Own the Same Car (FTFALAYOTSC).

One other lesser know fact about SCT and other handhelds (Predator and ), they will only let you change vehicles five times and then turn into a brick until you pay to have it reset. This is important to know if buying a used handheld, it could be unmarried but could also be useless...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

When I first got the "tunes for life" from them I was excited, but after a short time you figure out they are just the same canned tunes anybody offers. Then when you call them to give feedback on the tune and request a change they tell you "your wideband is incorrect these are dyno proven tunes". What a ripoff, as somebody said pony up the money for a real dyno tune and custom support if your car has enough mods worthy of needing an in depth tune, or tune yourself with DeltaForce$$$
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
When I first got the "tunes for life" from them I was excited, but after a short time you figure out they are just the same canned tunes anybody offers. Then when you call them to give feedback on the tune and request a change they tell you "your wideband is incorrect these are dyno proven tunes". What a ripoff, as somebody said pony up the money for a real dyno tune and custom support if your car has enough mods worthy of needing an in depth tune, or tune yourself with DeltaForce$$$

DeltaForce is $1800 FREAKING BUCKS!!!
GET OUTTA HERE!!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

So maybe $150 to buy back in isn't all that bad. Will that $150 get you free tunes for the life on the current car?

Last edited by kzonts; 03-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Well fellows ,Thanks for all the info.
I made a desision just to sell the SCT tuner and not deal with Bama at all.

Like some stated I will just get the Cobra dyno tuned at a shop with some of the money I get back from SCT.

Its pretty sad that Bama is so miss leading with their TFL program.
As some stated its should be related to the S/N on tuner not the car (some have more than 1 Mustang in their time).

Thanks cliffy K for posting their policy ,but its still very misleading.

Thanks Purp for the recommendation to Chris I have seen him floating around forum.

But at this point AM and Bama lost a customer,guess I will start dealing with Mustangs Unlimited right in CT.

Time to sell a tuner

Thanks MFers for the cheer up glad to see some agree.

Quick Reply: Need to rant about Bama Tuning