4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need to rant about Bama Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by code3GT
Yes...your dyno person can overwrite your old tunes
Thanks. For future reference...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

"I" am unsure if that tuner he has for a 99-04 GT will transfer over to a 97 cobra? ?? Maybe someone else can clarify? ??
Yep, sure will! SCT good for 96-04
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Ehh, canned tunes are garbage anyway man, just take it to the dyno for a real tune.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

"I" am unsure if that tuner he has for a 99-04 GT will transfer over to a 97 cobra? ?? Maybe someone else can clarify? ??
The SCTS will work for 96-04
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
So I called up Bama tuning today to get some tunes made for Cobra.They tell me it will cost $150 for tunes.
I was like WTF !!!!!!$150 wheres my free life time tunes I ask?
He tells me its married to GT.The rant I have is why the F*** is you OWN 2 cars(Mustangs it works on) and decide to sell one your tuner should be married to OWNER not car.

For $379 to this is a scam and to pay them another $150 is even more of a rip off.
Repzard,

I'm sorry that you feel misled. We started the Free Tunes for Life program so that our customers wouldn't have to worry about paying for little tune updates every time that they added new mods. At the time, many companies were charging you update fees, especially if you didn't buy your new mods from them. We were one of the first people to offer these updates for free. When you're entered into our Free Tunes for Life program, we do these updates for you no matter where you buy your new mods!

When you change Mustangs, we have to start building new tunes from the ground up. Your computer code changes, mods change and we have to start from scratch. This is why we charge a fee, because it's essentially a completely new set of tunes. Once you re-enroll in the Free Tunes for Life program, we'll cover any mods on your new Mustang, as long as you own it!

Since you returned your GT back to stock, you can use that tuner, whether or not you decide to go with Bama. Any SCT-authorized dyno can use that programmer to build you a custom dyno tune. We're sorry to see you go as a customer, so we do want to offer to make it right before you go this route.

Since you've been a loyal Bama customer in the past, we're definitely willing to stretch a little. I will be happy to "accidentally" enroll your new Cobra for free, and I hope that you'll still stick with us!

Keep in mind, that the tunes you're going to get from Bama aren't "canned" tunes, and are all researched & developed in-house by the Bama team on our Dynojet 224xLC. We Street, Dyno and Track test all of our tunes and have a fleet of over 12 company-owned Mustangs and over 40+ employee-owned Mustangs that they use to test every day. You'll be getting almost identical power/accuracy with our tunes that you would with a local dyno tune, and in some cases more.

Hope this helps! Hit me up via PM and I'll be glad to get you all set up, this time. Let us know if you have any questions!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
i lost alot of respect for American muscle after they bought out bama tunes, they seem to have so many regulations on them like if you were to purchase something used or from someone else they will not incorporate that into the tune for you. now this is hear say from a couple people i dont have first hand experience with them and would never buy a bama tune because all it is is a canned tune with minor tweaking so they can say it is custom
What stuff are you looking at adding that we won't tune for? We'll tune for mods purchased elsewhere, so I'd love to hear back from you on this. The only regulations that we have on the Free Tunes for Life program have to do with what supercharged/turbocharged applications we do and don't support and cams on 96-04 Mustangs.

Bama tunes are not at all "canned" tunes or pre-loaded "strategy" tunes. We don't even start with SCT base files. We build all of our files from the ground up using our own Mustangs and 165,000 square feet worth of Mustang parts that the Bama team can bolt-on at any time!

I hope this helps clear things up a little. Let me know what mods you've been told we don't support so I can clarify!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
Thanks for posting this, a SCT handheld was going to be my next purchase.
I own one mustang and am considering a second, I would have to buy a separate tuner for each one? That is ridiculous.
If you have any questions when you go to purchase, you can always call the Bama team directly. They're here in the building Monday-Saturday and can answer everything from tech questions to troubleshooting before AND after the sale.

As for having to buy more than one tuner, that's not something that only applies to SCT. All custom tuners vin-lock, and one of your Mustangs has to be returned to stock in order to use it on another. This will be true with Diablo, Superchips, Hypertech and others. Sorry for the confusion and let me know if this clears it up!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vintage5.0
american muscle is a big fat sales organization. they suck. if u have a problem, it is very hard to get any satisfaction or a refund.
Vintage5.0,

I'm really sorry that you feel like this. We're a company of Mustang enthusiasts and always go above and beyond for our customers. Take a look around this board and I'm sure you'll find cases where we've bent over backwards to make things right whenever we've screwed up!

PM me your story, let me know what we need to do to fix it! Keeping our customers happy is what makes us #1, and we're not about to lose you as a customer over somthing small. Let me know!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Repzard
Well fellows ,Thanks for all the info.
I made a desision just to sell the SCT tuner and not deal with Bama at all.

Like some stated I will just get the Cobra dyno tuned at a shop with some of the money I get back from SCT.

Its pretty sad that Bama is so miss leading with their TFL program.
As some stated its should be related to the S/N on tuner not the car (some have more than 1 Mustang in their time).

Thanks cliffy K for posting their policy ,but its still very misleading.

Thanks Purp for the recommendation to Chris I have seen him floating around forum.

But at this point AM and Bama lost a customer,guess I will start dealing with Mustangs Unlimited right in CT.

Time to sell a tuner

Thanks MFers for the cheer up glad to see some agree.
Misleading how? If the purchaser fails to read what is clearly stated then that's no one's fault but their own.

I love how people fail to take responsibility for their own actions then blame everyone else when things don't go as planned or they wanted...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03
Im not disappointed, but I ordered tires and wheels from AM Sunday afternoon. Received a confirmation email Monday saying my order was accepted. Was really hoping they would of shipped by Tuesday. Nothing yet. Status says "In warehouse". I only had my hopes up after reading all the reviews of people getting their wheels/tires within 2-3 days. Hope they go out tomorrow (Wed). I'm not ranting though, yet...lol I realize they are busy people and these things take time.

As for you, try to look at this as a positive. Go get that dyno tune. I hear its better anyway.
MyGT03,

Just wanted to check and make sure your wheel order tracking information got to you and everything is on the way! Our mount/balance team usually takes between 2-3 business days to get the order ready to leave the warehouse. We do mention it on the site, but it's easily missed. I can talk to our Web Team about getting that message made larger or more prominent. The people who get them in 2-3 days might also be in our 1-day shipping zone. Let us know when they arrive and throw up some pics!

As for dyno tunes vs. mail-order tunes, this is a debate that could go on forever. As long as your mail-order tunes are R&D'ed on actual Mustangs with your mods and you go with a reputable company, often times they can be as accurate and powerful as a custom tune on the dyno. If you go with a pre-loaded or "canned" tune, which Bama doesn't offer, you might find that there's alot of power left on the table.

PM me if you have any questions at all!

Quick Reply: Need to rant about Bama Tuning