4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Homemade spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Those that are thinking about doing this... if you can't jump up and down on your front spoiler, then it isn't braced well enough. A well known corvette racer told me this and he knows his stuff when it comes to aero. Make sure to brace the splitter very good or you will be wishing you had.

Also, something else to think about... adding a "good" front splitter will add alot of downforce to the nose of the car. Which in turn will create more oversteer in the car that may not be very balanced when pushing it at higher speeds. Most people will balance out a splitter with a good wing or rear spoiler.

Now, if its just to "look good" and not to be used for performance for your daily driver/cruiser/show car... then it would be fine to do.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 PM
eagle19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
Those that are thinking about doing this... if you can't jump up and down on your front spoiler, then it isn't braced well enough. A well known corvette racer told me this and he knows his stuff when it comes to aero. Make sure to brace the splitter very good or you will be wishing you had.

Also, something else to think about... adding a "good" front splitter will add alot of downforce to the nose of the car. Which in turn will create more oversteer in the car that may not be very balanced when pushing it at higher speeds. Most people will balance out a splitter with a good wing or rear spoiler.

Now, if its just to "look good" and not to be used for performance for your daily driver/cruiser/show car... then it would be fine to do.
My purpose would be mainly to look good not so much for it to handle 100mph. But honestly I could figure out a way to make it be braced enough if I wanted too.

But I was also thinking maybe instead of a cobra spoiler what if I did a nascar style spoiler. That would just take some sheet metal and roll it. And it's not very common to see. Any opinions on how that might look?