4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Yet another Mark VIII swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

For the coolant line,I would try and find one in a little better shape or take that one off and clean it up.Did you epoxy the holes in the IMRC's.Are you using the stock intake again or going with a cobra intake?Just wondering.I'm glad to see you're tearing it down and cleaning it up.Some guys would've just thrown it in as is.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

I am going back with the Mark VIII intake. I wish that I had a Cobra intake. I am trying to do this on as thin of a budget as possible. As for taking it apart, I had to take it apart to deal with the IMRC issue.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

the wires on the plug going to the coils need to be switched
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

I went back and re-read the four swap posts that I have bookmarked. It appears that no one has attempted to use the later model coil-over plug system that my Mark VIII engine came with. So then I will have to reuse the two front-engine-mounted coil packs that are currently on the '96 GT right? And then run earlier-style plug wires to the plugs right? If so, It's gonna look cheesy with later-model valve covers. I wish that there were a way to splice the later coil-over-plug system into the '96 GT wiring harness/computer.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
This is what greeted me when I took off the intake. What a bunch of crap in the intake valley...

See how sooted-up the intake runners are? Does that look amiss to anyone or is this normal?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
There was a bunch of crap on the IMRC blades. Now here's the deal. I removed all of the spark plugs. All were not tight. Keep in mind that this engine set in a salvage yard for at least two years. The bottom of the intake had a soup of stale gas and what looked like oil. There were no stripped or blew out plugs but none were tight. It makes me think...hmmmm....

Another view of the sooted-up intake runners. As for my previous statement about the spark plugs not being tight, I am now convinced that the salvage yard pulled the plugs and squirted penetrating oil into the cylinders before turning the engine over.

Last edited by Tesla_HV; 04-09-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Explosive

Eh, I've seen worse as far as carbon build ups go. Try and smell the cylinders ? If they did spray a penetrating lube into the holes it was probably PB plaster which has a very distinct smell. Most penetrating oils will smell pretty strong. Ever consider pulling the oil pan a taking a look ?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

That build up on the runners is normal, always a problem with imrc b heads
Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Now you know why seafoam is recommended on the 4V engine. That is pretty typical.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

I have decided to use the COP system as they are used on the Mark VIII engine. A found a guy who makes a conversion harness. You plug the coil pack wiring connectors to this harness and it has connections to the coils in the correct locations. This will make things sooooo much easier.

Quick Reply: Yet another Mark VIII swap thread