4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Yet another Mark VIII swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Most everything is off now. I am seriously considering taking a Dremel tool and cutting the back of the tab that holds down the crossover tube and leaving it on while I remove the intake. And who designed the method for holding down the power steering pump? About six inches of thread with two of them blocked to where you have to partially take all of them out before there is enough clearance to get the two obstructed bolts out. How does one do this with the engine in the car? It is hard enough with it out on a stand. I am now officially scared.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Also, how do the fuel rail disconnect. There are metal spring clips but it looks as if the connectors themselves are some sort of spring-release snap on type arrangement. The problem is that they don't want to simply snap off.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

you should buy a Fuel/Ac quick disconnect tool at any chain auto parts store. I would spray WD-40 or something on the spring just to lube it up. Use the tool to expand the spring and wiggle line off. here is a video I found he is doing the AC line but it is the same for fuel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgQJ-RinXc
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
Most everything is off now. I am seriously considering taking a Dremel tool and cutting the back of the tab that holds down the crossover tube and leaving it on while I remove the intake. And who designed the method for holding down the power steering pump? About six inches of thread with two of them blocked to where you have to partially take all of them out before there is enough clearance to get the two obstructed bolts out. How does one do this with the engine in the car? It is hard enough with it out on a stand. I am now officially scared.
A 10mm ratchet wrench is your friend on those damned power steering bolt. I can take it off while leaving the pressure line attached.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

This is what greeted me when I took off the intake. What a bunch of crap in the intake valley...

Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

There was a bunch of crap on the IMRC blades. Now here's the deal. I removed all of the spark plugs. All were not tight. Keep in mind that this engine set in a salvage yard for at least two years. The bottom of the intake had a soup of stale gas and what looked like oil. There were no stripped or blew out plugs but none were tight. It makes me think...hmmmm....

Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Here I attack the IMRC blades. I got all of them removed but I stripped one small screw. I had to use a Dremel to cut it off and I accidentally scored the plastic. It was in an area where two intake runners were side by side. I figure that even if it leaked, it will not represent a true vacuum leak.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

A view with the valve covers removed. No surprises here...

Old 04-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

So here is a point of worry...as if I didn't have enough to worry about...This coolant line is very corroded. I'm sure that you can't buy a replacement at the auto parts store. So what are my options??

Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
Ok here is a fundametal question; since the DOHC engine has a different coil interface, how do you adapt the GT SOHC wiring harness to it? What do I save from the DOHC wiring.?
This ia still my most fundamental question of the day.

Quick Reply: Yet another Mark VIII swap thread