4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

10 bucks makes a world of difference!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Tail lights look great man. I have noticed most people that put VHT on their lights look like a 3rd grader did it. Yours look very nice though. Personally, I had mine professionally done with a candy black.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03
Looking good bro...

Get that lower valance decal I sent you on and she'll be looking real nice. I wanna see pics...

Gonna try the VHT brand tomorrow. Rustolium makes some but its crap. **** fish-eyed on me and had to strip off. Finally got them prepped, again, and will git-r-done tomorrow...

You should post up a good pic of the new gauges...
How did you get your existing tint off? And what all is involved in prepping them? A friend sprayed mine over a year ago and its foggy and not glossy like i wanted so im going to redo it myself
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
How did you get your existing tint off? And what all is involved in prepping them? A friend sprayed mine over a year ago and its foggy and not glossy like i wanted so im going to redo it myself
He used Mineral spirits and wet sanded it. Any type of paint thinner will work.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
A whole **** load of sanding. Mine was forced due to a screw up. Just started with 180 grit on a DA/orbital sander. Once all was removed and was back down to red, I ditched the orbital sander and started blocking with 240. Then blocked with 320, 400, then 600.

I just finished my last coat of tint. You can see some ever so slightly sand marks being its black in color. Black shows everything. When dry, Im going to wet sand with 1500, then 3-4 coats of clear. Depending on any wrinkle (orange peel), I will throw a buffing pad on my DA and hit with a fine cut.

But my advice to you would be wet sand lightly with 1500 and just clear coat. 3-4 coats and they will be shiny like new...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.6Gtconv
He used Mineral spirits and wet sanded it. Any type of paint thinner will work.
Actually, I messed up twice. My first attempt: I tinted one light, set aside, then tinted other. 2 coats. Once tacky enough to handle, I set on rear bumper and connected lights. One was way darker than other. So I tried to put one more coat on the lighter one. Then that one was darker. So put another coat on the one that was previously darker. Now that one was darker. After 4-5 attempts, they were so freaking dark, it wasn't gonna fly (legally).

So, while the tint was still real fresh, I used Mineral Spirits and a rag and it came right off. Washed real good and dried with compressed air. After taping, I set end to end and re-tinted both at once to get even coverage on both at same time. Next day I started to clear coat and it fish-eyed. Went ahead and put 4 coats of clear, knowing I was going to sand blemishes out and re-clear a final time.

While sanding the with 320, I accidentally went through the clear and got into the tint. Leaving a quarter sized spot of red lens. I was screwed again. If I tried just re-coating with tint, the surrounding area would be darker and spot would still show itself when lights on.

Had to walk away in frustration. Went inside and started browsing new tail lights. Then decided to strip with DA, block sand, and try once more. So far, so good...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

looks awesome!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

have you gotton pulled over yet for the good ol' Improper equipment violation? I have dark tail lights and got pulled over the day I did them. Mass sux
Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Got mine finished today and installed. 2 coats VHT Night Shade and 2 coats clear.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
have you gotton pulled over yet for the good ol' Improper equipment violation? I have dark tail lights and got pulled over the day I did them. Mass sux
Nope not yet lol, Hopefully I dont
Old 03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03
Got mine finished today and installed. 2 coats VHT Night Shade and 2 coats clear.
Lookin good brotha... Can you see your brakelight.. with it that dark ?

Quick Reply: 10 bucks makes a world of difference!