4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is swapping to an IRS worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
When i did my swap, I needed his springs, needed different rear shocks, his exhaust. The brakes were fine, all of the bolts lined up in the same spots. Pretty much a direct bolt on.
That is good to hear. As soon as I hear back from him and talk it over I will see if it is worth it. Thanks again for the input!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Ugh... I still want an IRS
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Dooooo iiiittt!

I love the IRS exhaust. Peak a boo, I see you!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Dooooo iiiittt!

I love the IRS exhaust. Peak a boo, I see you!
if there was a like and dislike icon, I'd like this n then dislike n re-like again to show how much I like this comment
Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Waiting for uber to come in here and give his opinion haha.

IRS is a lot more comfortable for DD'ing but i dont ever plan on switchig my SRA out. Im going to get LCA's, flsfc's, new springs, and new shocks and struts and that should be good enough for me for suspension.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Im just wondering Jazzer, why do you think it is better? With an Irs, the wheels are always flat. No matter if your suspension is compressed or not. I have been in both a built solid axle with phd and torque arm. The IRS feels like it grips the road better to me. Also, the ride quality is great! i have solid bushings and it rides great. I do have to say, a stock IRS is easily beat by a SRA, however with solid bushings, i believe the IRS is far superior. If a solid axle was better, race teams would still have them. (Lemans, indy, etc)
the irs was built to fit the 99-04 new edge without having to change anything on the body, ie bolt in peice. this gives flaws in the irs design. if the cobra bodies and irs was built in terms of tegether, the design would be much better. to help make my irs craddle more rigid in the mounting points, i added lower torqe box braces and the rear irs mount brace. all bolted in then welded. i too believe the irs is a far better concept than a solid for corners but only is the perticular irs design is built right
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

IRS would be an excellent upgrade for a DD car!!!
The improvement in ride quality is worth it if the swap is cheap.

If you want to take the car to the drag strip, DON'T do it. The solid rear axle is much better for drag use.

If you want excellent handling, it matters what surface you plan to run it on. Bumpy surfaces would tilt the tables toward the IRS. However, if you will run it on a track or relatively smooth surface you can just keep your SRA.

Bottom line... what will it cost you to make the swap and what do you plan to do with the car?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Still waiting to hear back from him. One other guy on the forum is trying to talk him out of it. I am not sure what his intensions are for the car so we will see.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Im just wondering Jazzer, why do you think it is better? With an Irs, the wheels are always flat. No matter if your suspension is compressed or not. I have been in both a built solid axle with phd and torque arm. The IRS feels like it grips the road better to me. Also, the ride quality is great! i have solid bushings and it rides great. I do have to say, a stock IRS is easily beat by a SRA, however with solid bushings, i believe the IRS is far superior. If a solid axle was better, race teams would still have them. (Lemans, indy, etc)

Hmmm. Awkward. I disagree with your statements in bold.

With a solid axle (NOT IRS) the tires are always flat. With an IRS, the rears generally have a little bit of negative camber.

And my justification for NEVER considering a swap to IRS (I have IRS swapped a customer's car though) is that the solid axle is better on the dragstrip and at least as good on a roadcourse. Sure, IRS is smoother over bumps, but if I wanted a car that was smooth over bumps, I wouldn't have bought a Mustang. It's irrefutable that the SRAs are faster on the dragstrip, and on the roadrace track, Ford Racing, Roush, Steeda, basically all of the Pro racers are using solid rear axles. (and winning races on them!)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

the only way i would get rid of my irs is if i needed to go with a 9in there are cobras out there running 9s with 1.4 60's.

http://youtu.be/cZ9LkCyVU20

Quick Reply: Is swapping to an IRS worth it?