4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is swapping to an IRS worth it?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Default Is swapping to an IRS worth it?

I see a lot of guys swapping from solid axles to IRS and was wondering why? I have been thinking about it, but was not sure if it was really worth the time and money. Don't track my car and it is my DD. May see an occasional strip once in a while. Any input would be great.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i swapped to the irs for the ride quality and handling. plus i got a really good deal considering it was a 03 model with 21,000 on it and already had mm bushings throughout, diff brace, 3.73s and h&r race springs for 700. all i had to do was bolt it in
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
i swapped to the irs for the ride quality and handling. plus i got a really good deal considering it was a 03 model with 21,000 on it and already had mm bushings throughout, diff brace, 3.73s and h&r race springs for 700. all i had to do was bolt it in
Would my exhaust need to be changed out?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

you need the IRS cat back. I love my IRS and would do it all over again the ride quality is great. my .02 Cobra guys that swap them out are idiots. I understand the guys that go to the drag strip all the time but I bet 99% of the people that swap them out go to the track maybe 3 or 4 times a season not worth it to me
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scooter3
Would my exhaust need to be changed out?
Absolutely.

Honestly, I think IRS/SRA swaps are more or less a "coulda had" mod. I see cobra guys wanting solid rears, and gt guys wanting IRS's. Both can be built to do the same functions.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Depends on your goals for your car, I did it cuz I was sick of the ride quality. I'll be making some trips to the track and ultimately I'll be auto crossing soon. It is expensive to build the IRS but the every day drivability is awesome. I have all of my friends express their desire for an IRS. But don't jump on the first one you find. Most cobra owners think their IRS's are gold. I waited 3 years for mine, paid $400 with the exhaust and H&R race springs as well. There are good deals out there, just be patient. Fact is I did it and absolutely love it.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ this

The SRA can be made to handle VERY aggressive cornering easier then an IRS and probably the same expense. The IRS will ride better on the street, but if one wants to get hardcore into cornering, most do not...., one ends up taking the "I" out of the "IRS" out of it

I have nothing against the IRS, so don't be thinkin' The Jazzes B hatin'
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Im just wondering Jazzer, why do you think it is better? With an Irs, the wheels are always flat. No matter if your suspension is compressed or not. I have been in both a built solid axle with phd and torque arm. The IRS feels like it grips the road better to me. Also, the ride quality is great! i have solid bushings and it rides great. I do have to say, a stock IRS is easily beat by a SRA, however with solid bushings, i believe the IRS is far superior. If a solid axle was better, race teams would still have them. (Lemans, indy, etc)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
Depends on your goals for your car, I did it cuz I was sick of the ride quality. I'll be making some trips to the track and ultimately I'll be auto crossing soon. It is expensive to build the IRS but the every day drivability is awesome. I have all of my friends express their desire for an IRS. But don't jump on the first one you find. Most cobra owners think their IRS's are gold. I waited 3 years for mine, paid $400 with the exhaust and H&R race springs as well. There are good deals out there, just be patient. Fact is I did it and absolutely love it.
There is a guy here locally looking to do a complete swap. Still need to talk to him about what he is looking for. I just need to see about some of the little things. Springs, shocks, exhaust...stuff like that. I have new Bilstein shocks, H&R springs and will have to do something with my exhaust pipes. Still need to see if it is all worth it.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ this

The SRA can be made to handle VERY aggressive cornering easier then an IRS and probably the same expense. The IRS will ride better on the street, but if one wants to get hardcore into cornering, most do not...., one ends up taking the "I" out of the "IRS" out of it

I have nothing against the IRS, so don't be thinkin' The Jazzes B hatin'
Always value your input Jazzer.

Last edited by scooter3; 03-28-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by scooter3
There is a guy here locally looking to do a complete swap. Still need to talk to him about what he is looking for. I just need to see about some of the little things. Springs, shocks, exhaust...stuff like that. I have new Bilstein shocks, H&R springs and will have to do something with my exhaust pipes. Still need to see if it is all worth it.

Always value your input Jazzer.
When i did my swap, I needed his springs, needed different rear shocks, his exhaust. The brakes were fine, all of the bolts lined up in the same spots. Pretty much a direct bolt on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is swapping to an IRS worth it?